• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPEC stage clutch?

chuncomunco

Hi guys,

My stock Sachs clutch can no longer handle the power from my car especially with the JBracing aluminum flywheel. Has anyone by chance tried SPEC clutches?

I was thinking about the stage 2 clutch, but i was worried about the sizes they offer because i know i have 225mm setup and nothing is mentioned about it on the website.

(2760940) 1972 2002Tii Agave, Supersprint Headers, IE SS Exhaust, BMP SSK, Crane XR3000 w/ MSD Blaster, IE 284 cams, JB Racing Aluminum Flywheel, Seral 13x6

Guest Anonymous

There's been a ton of discussion on this board about how the JB Aluminum flywheel does not come with the 0.020" step that the stock clutch is made for. So if you slap a stock pressure plate on a flat flywheel it will slip and wear out a lot quicker.

A stock pressure plate can work even better with a puck style clutch if you need more grip. If you are racing, and don't mind the gear rattle, get the unsprung hub for strength. If you go with a real aggressive clutch, then you are no longer able to engage it smoothly for gentle take-offs, and that means pushing on the trailer (the normal slipping of the clutch for stuff like that damages the race material, esp when cold.)

Unless you're at 200 hp, something else is wrong.

No, I retract that- unless you're at 200 hp with the 215 clutch, something

else is wrong.

The 228 will probably hold up to 250 IF you get a more aggressive friction plate. Ireland's works fine, and is inexpensive for what it is.

You need the step, though...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL