• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

brake caliper rebuild gen question

gwb72tii

for those that have done a rebuild

i'm starting to dig into the brakes pretty quick, and i want to rebuild my tii front calipers.

i did this back in the 70's, but have not done one since.

my question concerns if you must hone the bore for the pistons, if it is absolutely required? i'm thonking this should be done, but i haven't seen a hone small enough at the local parts stores.

the alternative is to buy rebuilt calipers, but i'm unsure of the quaity and if the calipers are really oem.

thanks

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

Guest Anonymous

This topic has been beat to death. You wont be able to hone anything unless you split the caliper. If you do that you better have new stretch to yield bolts and special 0 rings, or be lucky. Yes, there are hones that small and yes they are used for all sorts of things including wheel cylinders.

If you are just simply replacing the rubber piston rings for the four pistons and the dust boots, crocus/emery cloth is all you need to remove rust, corrosion or the like to leave a bore that is smooth. The cylinders you are considering honing do not have pistons traveling up and down the entire bores continuously like your engine block.

hth

This topic has been beat to death. You wont be able to hone anything unless you split the caliper. If you do that you better have new stretch to yield bolts and special 0 rings, or be lucky. Yes, there are hones that small and yes they are used for all sorts of things including wheel cylinders.

If you are just simply replacing the rubber piston rings for the four pistons and the dust boots, crocus/emery cloth is all you need to remove rust, corrosion or the like to leave a bore that is smooth. The cylinders you are considering honing do not have pistons traveling up and down the entire bores continuously like your engine block.

hth

sorry, i did the search thing and found no clear answer

the pistons are removable without splitting the caliper?

if so it should be pretty simple.

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

Guest Anonymous

Did you search the message text or just the title?

This should answer many of the questions you did not ask:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,301477/

Seafoam is optional ;p

Good luck!

Did you search the message text or just the title?

This should answer many of the questions you did not ask:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,301477/

Seafoam is optional ;p

Good luck!

apparently i need to go back to school

thanks for the link - much appreciated

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”