• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tranny mount tabs

wagnerf15

I mean TRANSMISSION in this case, Otis. In an earlier post, Lee mentioned removing the old tabs from the tunnel in a 5 speed swap to give more room for the center muffler and transmission. Is this required/desired? I assumed they'd stay, particularly because most aftermarket brackets use them, but now I'm wonderin'. I think I'll buy some of Lee's tabs from him and mount them in the tunnel for the swap, but should I remove the old tabs before I jam in the transmission?

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins

Note to self...read the question before responding...

I got some factory replacement mounts and bolted them in. I could have welded them after bolting or welded first, but did not bother. I did this conversion about 15 years ago. I do not know if the mounts are available any more or not. Check on realoem or some other parts site.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

LOL! Yeah, I guess you can't find the OEM parts anymore. Lee, of this forum, is about to fab up a run of them, however, so I'll probably leach off his expertise. So, you never welded 15 years ago and have had no problems? Sounds like bolts will work just fine.

'74 2002

Ambulatory on 2/4/9!!!

Now the hard shit begins

Yea, some people will say you should weld them in, but being a mechanical engineer and knowing the strength of (4) 1/4" (or 6mm) diameter bolts, they can hold the rear of the transmission without too much trouble.

If you do weld, be real careful as you can easily start the carpet on fire.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)