• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

pedal box...

merek22

So I was removing my pedal box, as it needs to be cleaned (it has some surface rust, etc, and should probably be rebuilt), and it was going well, until I got to the large bolt up by the brake lines, that holds the pedal box up (the one with open ends, so you just need to loosen the bolt). However, I took the nut off the bolt, and tried to push it through, to relieve some of the pressure so I could slide out the pedal box, but it doesn't move. At all. And there's no good way to pry on it. I also tried tapping the pedal box down with screwdriver and hammer, but that simply mauled the metal bracket. Any ideas? Is there anything else you have to unattach up there (I read through the FAQ and it didn't say there was)

Thanks,

Merek

'75 2002

top of the pedal box has slits or holes, I know one side is a slit but my memory and pictures fail me on the other side.

However, that big bolt that is fighting you has the weight and pressure of the brake booster sitting on it. A couple of thoughts:

1. Remove some of the pressure and see if the bolt moves

2. What works for me - remove the nut and twist (with a ratchet and socket), the head of the bolt in the reverse way and see if it just wants to "thread" out. Once the bolt moves past the first bracket, it will come out much easier.

Now, when you go to put it back in and get that keeper thing on the rod.....post again with the frustration. Taking it off is the easy part. Sorry for the news!

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

To quote our friend Paul Wegweiser.

If you remove that bolt - you'll spend the rest of the day wrestling with pivot arms, mean, miserable hidden circlips, and scaring away small garden animals as you hurl tools about the yard in primal rage.

The first time I put that clip back, it took me about 3 hours... How foolish was I. Then being on the higher step of the animal evolution, I deducted and learned from my mistakes. Trial and error . On the second time I took the assembly apart and I had to put the clevis clip back on, it took about 5 minutes.

The trick is to use hold the clip with a thin metal wire (this way it will not fall --- or even get lost --- if you miss) and push the clip with a long screw driver. Voilà...

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

The wire sounds like a great idea too. I take a long handled but small bladed flat screwdriver and put it in the clip, holding it somewhat open so it slips in the slot more easily.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5