• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

starter installation problems, engine mount problems...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey all,

I posted about a week ago in regards to a starter replacement. Thus far I have a new starter in but a whole new world of problems. During the installation I could not get the old starter out without removing, what I will call, the throttle linkage bracket. This is a bracket that hooks onto the throttle linkage and has two bolts directly to the engine. By doing so, I managed to get the old starter out and new starter in. However, when I removed the throttle linkage bracket the engine dropped some, thankfully the other motor mounts held and it didn't pose a huge problem at first.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to line up the bracket holes with the engine mount holes. I've got one bolt in by literally jacking up the engine from underneath by the tranny but cannot get the other bolt to line up.

I decided to put the starter bracket back too in hopes it will make it easier to line up those holes as well. Again, I can only get one bolt in, the other bolt is far from aligned.

My question is: what to do? The starter isn't lining up 100% into the tranny because the engine/tranny aren't in the correct spot. I've come to the conclusion I absolutely need to line up the throttle linkage bracket bolts to make sure the engine is sitting in the correct spot for everything to go back into place.

It's turned into a huge headache and any advice would be really appreciated. I know I messed up but it's definately fixable...but how?

Thanks in advance.

....loosen the RIGHT motor mount hardware(under the exhaust manifold)

and with a board protecting the oil pan, gently jack at the oil pan -

and wiggle the loose motor to get ALL fasteners started.

THEN drop the jack and tighten everything up with the motor

settled down in it's normal position = NOT while it's supported by

a jack anywhere.

Work Safe !!

bmw02turborepairwPRAYERa.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"