• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

a new 'groan'...???

BillyTheKid

Well, today was an epic day for "Betty" - she received new ball joints, front end bushings, springs (H&R) and struts (Bilstien Sports). Hopefully I will be able to go back down to the auto hobby shop tomorrow and put on the new steering pieces (tie rods (x4), center control rod and steering coupler.

Anyway, on the way home I noticed that when I'm coming to a stop (and this only happens from about 5mph to stand-still) there is a low 'groan' coming from the front end. My first thought was the bearings (which were recently replaced), however everything was silky-smooth when I adjusted them (without brake calipers on). Now when I put the brakes back on the rotors, they both were a little bit of a PITA to get back on...the passenger one especially (and this is where I think I'm hearing the noise). How can this be, I did nothing to the brakes...just zip-tied them up when I removed the strut/control arm assembly. Anyone here have a similar experience? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill

Well, today was an epic day for "Betty" - she received new ball joints, front end bushings, springs (H&R) and struts (Bilstien Sports). Hopefully I will be able to go back down to the auto hobby shop tomorrow and put on the new steering pieces (tie rods (x4), center control rod and steering coupler.

Anyway, on the way home I noticed that when I'm coming to a stop (and this only happens from about 5mph to stand-still) there is a low 'groan' coming from the front end. My first thought was the bearings (which were recently replaced), however everything was silky-smooth when I adjusted them (without brake calipers on). Now when I put the brakes back on the rotors, they both were a little bit of a PITA to get back on...the passenger one especially (and this is where I think I'm hearing the noise). How can this be, I did nothing to the brakes...just zip-tied them up when I removed the strut/control arm assembly. Anyone here have a similar experience? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Bill

i dunno how many times youve done bearings but you need to tighten front taper-style bearings one notch more than you might think. for me the symptom was a "clicking" sound when id hit bumps, but the issue was the hub castle nut was one notch loose.

as for the brakes, if the rotor isnt in position the brakes will of course be an issue. recheck the hub nut. remember you go nice and snug, then back off, and in my experience you go a bit snug again...

i dunno how many times youve done bearings but you need to tighten front taper-style bearings one notch more than you might think. for me the symptom was a "clicking" sound when id hit bumps, but the issue was the hub castle nut was one notch loose.

as for the brakes, if the rotor isnt in position the brakes will of course be an issue. recheck the hub nut. remember you go nice and snug, then back off, and in my experience you go a bit snug again...

After sleeping on it - I think that's what I'm going to check this morning. Last night prior to going to bed, I jacked up the front end and did a quick spin of each wheel...all seemed well but there was a deeper noise on the passenger wheel...so I'm going to assume that this is where to start.

Thanks for the advice.

bill

Did you lube them?

I certainly did, I used Permatex Anti-Seize that came highly recommended on the FAQ (man that stuff gets EVERYWHERE!!!). Funny you should mention that, the hobby shop mechanic told me that urethane bushings didn't need any lube as they were self-lubing...maybe the previous generation ones were but from what I gathered here (and elsewhere) that isn't the case with today's bushings.

Cheers,

bill

Well today was epic day #2 - new tie rods and center control rod inserted and an alignment done...holy mother of all things good...she feels great in my hands now! I was also able to finish installing my new H&R springs (yesterday I only had the opportunity to put on the fronts...had to wait until today to install the rears). At first I thought she sat a bit lower in the rear as the wheel arches are somewhat misleading (also had the old springs and all my other parts in the trunk...after I unloaded it all it now looks 'correct').

Now on to the front end...I took off the hub in question and didn't find anything amiss. I repacked the bearings and put it all back together again. Nothing looked wrong other than the brake not wanting to come off or go back on easily over the rotor. I took her out and only hear that 'groan' under hard braking (again, only between 5 - 0 mph). If I ease the car to a stop I don't hear it...I'm assuming it's in my brake somewhere (great, fix one thing and a whole other set of problems rear their ugly head...). Any ideas?

Cheers,

bill

Groans are hard to describe.

Press down on the front suspension and bounce it a bit (if you can.) Listen for the groan. Can you hear it?

When applying the brakes, do you feel the graon? In the steering? In the brake pedal? The car itself?

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

Well today was epic day #2 - new tie rods and center control rod inserted and an alignment done...holy mother of all things good...she feels great in my hands now! I was also able to finish installing my new H&R springs (yesterday I only had the opportunity to put on the fronts...had to wait until today to install the rears). At first I thought she sat a bit lower in the rear as the wheel arches are somewhat misleading (also had the old springs and all my other parts in the trunk...after I unloaded it all it now looks 'correct').

Now on to the front end...I took off the hub in question and didn't find anything amiss. I repacked the bearings and put it all back together again. Nothing looked wrong other than the brake not wanting to come off or go back on easily over the rotor. I took her out and only hear that 'groan' under hard braking (again, only between 5 - 0 mph). If I ease the car to a stop I don't hear it...I'm assuming it's in my brake somewhere (great, fix one thing and a whole other set of problems rear their ugly head...). Any ideas?

Cheers,

bill

if you are only hearing it under hard braking, just let the pads bed some more. it takes 500 miles to bed pads to rotors, minimum. patience pays! =)