• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas pedal set-up

bimmervet

Went to start the tii up, and when I pushed the pedal down, it stayed down. I checked all the return springs and they were in place. I started disconnecting linkages and determined it was the pedal shaft itself where it comes out the bottom of the floorpan. I lubed it up, and got it to work freely. Two questions. 1) Is this a common place for problems requiring constant lubrication? 2) How do I set the arm on the end of the pedal shaft? With the pedal to the floor with full throttle, or with the pedal all the way back and the throttle back? Thanks in advanced.

Steve

The tii set-up manual has a suggestion on how to set up the linkage on the bell crank on the fire wall but I do not think it covers the lever attached to the arm from the pedal.

So, have your partner press the pedal bar to the floor and keep pressure towards the passenger side. Have he/she hold it. You will need this pressure as you struggle to wrap the spring and get the arm in place while holding down the vertical bar from the bell crank on the firewall.

You are under the car, pull the linkage from the bell crank on the firewall all the way down. This puts your car in WOT (wide open throttle).

Connect the linkage to the rod if it is not already on there.

Lastly, put the bar over the knurled end of the pedal shaft and tighten the 10mm nut and bolt.

Aug1634.jpg

Oh yeah, the frustrating part is to get that spring wrapped around the shaft and hooked onto the lip down there. This is the really fun part of this exercise.

To make it right, follow the tii set up and adjust the vertical arm accordingly. You can do this at the bell crank on the firewall.

If you clean the pedal box out of 35 years of crud and moil (mud and oil) lube it properly, forget about for another 10 years.

pedals.jpg

That rubber pad that covers the pedal box, on the interior side, is supposed to keep crud out. The hole in the outside of the box for the early mechanical clutch mechanism lets moil in.

Many have welded the hole in the pedal box shut to keep moil out and rust from starting.

Evanwelding.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Thanks for the info and diagrams guys! The only thing I had disconnected was the gas pedal shaft from the arm so that I could work it back and forth after I lubricated it. With the rest of the linkage at idle, I set the gas pedal by memory as to where it had been. Tightened the 10mm nut and I was good to go. The diagram was very helpful and I'll store it in my archives.

Steve