• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Emergency brake cables stuck

carlfriedman

I'm replacing both emergency brake cables but the outer sheath is stuck where is goes into the tubes in the body. Doesn't help that you really have very little access in that area so hard to grab the cable at that joint. Is there a trick to removing what is probably the original cable? I hit it with PB Blaster but I'm thinking of cuting the cable a few inches from that joint, pulling out the inner cable and shooting PB Blaster inside as well.

Obviously I don't want to force the issue and brake the metal tube attached to the body.

carl

Guest Anonymous

Your problem is not unlike any "plumbing" problem in the sense that you need to assess the condition of the conduit as well as the moving parts in determining how to unclog. My guess is that your "snake" has rusted solid onto the sheath and/or cut through it. However, it is equally likely that 30+ years of debris have also lodged in there.

Aside from cutting or replacing the "pipe" or using drano (pbblaster), have you tried vice grips on one side (actual brake) in tandem with someone gently working the handbrake. THis "seesaw" movement has worked for me (although I had one cable brake).

Good luck.

HEAT!

Get a torch.

It doesn't need to be a big, expensive oxy-acetelen torch or anything.....just the propane/butane kind that you can buy at Home Depot, like this:

ul100.jpg

Heat up the tubes where they connect to the cables. Use a pair of vice grips to work the cable ends loose. Easy as pie, I promise you.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

And heat melts the rubber covering how far up???? Tried and true??? Yep its quick...I guess if new lines are going in... Either way you will need to get vice grips on them....And remember an open flame near a gas tank is no worry.......

Absoutley tried and true. There's no need to break them loose if you're not replacing them, so no problem IF some plastic gets melted.

That's also at least a foot from the gas tank. Unless you're drunk, it shouldn't be a problem.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog