• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone have 003 advance curve?

brianstj

I would like to see if I can get data on the advance curve on an 003 distributor with and without vacuum applied. Does any such data exist anywhere?

So what I am trying to look in to is the feasibility of running the distributor with the vacuum advance disconnected. Why? I am having a minor idle issue with my new motor and I am taking a WAG that it could be related to the vacuum advance module.

Here is my thinking - please correct me if I am out-o-whack :) I just built an engine with a 292 cam. Setting the idle mixture and speed on the 38/38 Weber per the instructions I have found online can get me a lopey idle at around 900, my expected results for the higher duration cam. When I actually drive the car and come up to a stop, probably more than 50% of the time the idle sticks at about 1400 RPM. I am pretty sure the linkage is not getting stuck - motor mounts are new, and even if I pull up on the gas pedal it will not drop. I can get to my lopey 900 RPM idle if I do not put the clutch in until the engine is below the ~1400 RPM mark.

So what I am thinking is that when I adjust the idle mixture and speed it is at low RPM with crap for vacuum due to the cam. When I put the clutch in at a higher RPM when coming to a stop, I have a higher vacuum condition (keeping the timing more advanced), and keeping the idle higher. Is this possible? Am I crazy? Is there a simpler explanation (assuming the linkage & motor mounts are good)?

Brian

'72 2002

'91 325i