• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Update on rear wheel/bearing issues

madpaddler

Update,

Below is the post I made a week or two ago about having a bit of wiggle in rear tire before and after bearing replacement:

"Just completed replacing the rear bearings on my 73 auto. I was having some strange noise from the rear passenger side, jacked up the rear wiggled the tire and sure enough, there was some "play". Put hands at 12 and 6 and could get 1/4" movement top to bottom. The bearing was shot, so using the handy forum search was able to do the job (did both sides)...thanks to several members here for the great tips!

Here is the rub... put everything back together, rotated the tires for extra measure, now there is still the same wiggle in the tire? I figure this may have been the cause of the bearing going bad, but any ideas what could cause me not to be able to "snug" down the wheel on the hub? Cannot tighten it down to get rid...any help/guidance would be great. My only thought is to replace the lug nuts and threaded bolts on the hub...this is my daily driver so quick help as I don't want to ruin another bearing!

Thanks again in advance."

Here is what I found after much great advise. The PO had snugged the lug nuts down so far the last 4 threads were completely gone on all nuts, swapped out new nuts and that fixed the problem, sooo glad it was not the axle/flange that needed replacement. I am now running smooth and much safer.

'76 2002 A "camo blue"

'73 2002 A Chamonix

'71 Airstream Globetrotter

'72 2002 A Verona-crashed then stolen

2007 Toyota FJ

The lug nut threads... almost gone man. Yes it was scary, I will be replacing all with new now. As always thanks for all your expertise in all areas of 02 stuff, cannot tell you how much a non mechanic as myself has learned from this forum and people like you. Keep sharing.

Hal

'76 2002 A "camo blue"

'73 2002 A Chamonix

2007 Toyota FJ

Man, I am so glad you posted this...I swapped my steels for aluminum Enkei's, and did not change the lug nuts over. This is the kind of info newbies like me would never know. Back to the drawing board, now I will look for the correct ones. Look at the pick of my wheels, please note any other stupid things I have done and and unaware of... The new lug nuts came from Ireland Engineering and were much deeper than the originals. Thanks for your input C.D.

Hal

post-9373-13667597234232_thumb.jpg

post-9373-13667597235306_thumb.jpg

'76 2002 A "camo blue"

'73 2002 A Chamonix

2007 Toyota FJ