• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

primering or painting a patch in the fender well

eaker02

74tii-Had to do some patching from where rust ate some metal in the drivers side fender well.

Was wondering what would be best on this bare metal that's exposed, to primer then either undercoat or thought about the truck bed liner paint.

or primer, paint, then undercoart or bedliner paint or just not worry about the primer.

any tips sould be appreicated.

thanks

ron

Unfortunately bodyshop supplies are getting really expensive these days. I would strongly recommend using the PPG DP series of epoxy primer and then perhaps a Wurth underbody coating. The DP primer comes in 4 or 5 colors--DP40LF is gray/green and DP60LF is blue (the LF means "lead free"). This primer is bulletproof and used by many restoration and body shops. It will cost about $100 for a quart of primer and catalyst though. I have had good luck with a long shelf life for DP40, so you can use it for future projects. Wurth also makes a brushable seam sealer that works well for gaps between body panels.

In restoring my '71, I redid my wheel wells by stripping to bare metal, painting with DP40, coating with Wurth Stoneguard, another coat of DP40, and then finishing with Glasurit 20 series paint. Hopefully this will last a while. If you are dealing with rust, be sure to use a rust treatment before sealing with a primer. Good luck.