• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to identify a reground cam?

kubes

I am trying to see if the cam in a car I just bought is a regrind. The po provided paper work that a Karzundpartz K3004 reground cam shaft was purchased and installed. I believe what is in there is a BMW stock cam (or was at one time), there is a "2" stamped on the end and the number on the casing is 12106100802. I did not see another markings. Which would make sense if it was reground, correct?

Is there a quick and easy means to tell if it was reground, before I pull it out and send it to be checked?

Does anyone have any info, spec or comments on a Karzundpatrz cam K3004 cam?

Thanks

I'm no expert on cams, if you had a stock cam to compare, couldn't you just measure the base circle diameter with calipers while the cam is in the head & compare to a known stock cam ? Or do some regrinds build up surface by welding on more material ?

2002 owner since 1980

stuck Kuchen

Look at the heal of the cam(round part)if it is mostly even /not raised above the shaft it is a re grind K300 . There is one in my tii Touring I put it there in the late 70's

I am trying to see if the cam in a car I just bought is a regrind. The po provided paper work that a Karzundpartz K3004 reground cam shaft was purchased and installed. I believe what is in there is a BMW stock cam (or was at one time), there is a "2" stamped on the end and the number on the casing is 12106100802. I did not see another markings. Which would make sense if it was reground, correct?

Is there a quick and easy means to tell if it was reground, before I pull it out and send it to be checked?

Does anyone have any info, spec or comments on a Karzundpatrz cam K3004 cam?

Thanks

Hi, I'm no expert but these numbers match a cam I have, which as far as I know is a standard 264 cam.

Work to live........

NEVER live to work

The numbers can match a stock cam on a reground cam. That is because a reground cam is typically an OEM cam that has had the base circle size reduced. This makes the difference between the base circle and the lobe greater than it was on the stock configuration cam so you get a higher lift.

I don't know what the base circle is on an OEM cam. As stated before it stands up from the cam body a little bit so an reground cam would have to be flush.

If material is added to the cam lobe the process is called a "hardweld" cam. This is also normally done to OEM cams so the number will still match.

Good luck!

Patman in Tehachapi

74 2002tii known as "The Pickle"

Guest Anonymous

I had a Karzundpartz reground cam, but don't recall the grind. What I do recall was the fact that the entire shaft was turned so that it looked much spiffier than the stock version since most casting marks/slag were ground off. If you have a 300 degree cam, you ought to be able to easily eyeball the difference when and if you compare it to a stock cam. I would expect if you removed the cam gear from the cam, the grind number will be stamped there.

HTH