• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Noise from my 2002

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've had my 1976 02 for about 3 weeks. By this time I'm pretty used to the way the engine sounds. Its been running great, great shifting, great power etc. 2 days ago I heard a short "grinding" sound when I started her up in the morning. To me is sounds like this.....imagine 2 metal plates spinning side by side and everyone in a while they get too close and touch for a couple of seconds and then a few seconds no noise and then the touching / grinding noise again. (I'm in now way a person that knows things about cars). I don't hear the sound once I get the car moving but I think that the regular engine sound may just be blocking the new sound.

Today I had to drive it about 20 miles each way to another town. When I got where I was going I stopped the car with the engine still running, put the car in neutral, and walked around the car to see if I could locate the noise. I'm pretty sure its from the engine and I think I heard it louder when I put my ear down low to the ground on the passenger side. I'm certainly not sure that I know where the sound comes from. I'm hoping that its just a loose exhaust pipe banging around.

Otherwise the car is performing great.

Any thoughts before I try and take her into the shop next week?

Thanks,

Morris

loose heat sheild

bad piliot bearing

bad clutch throw-out bearing

broken exhaust baffle

collapsed motor mounts allowing

something to contact something that it shouldn't

keep us posted

Get Down And Get Under the thing

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous
loose heat shield

Get Down And Get Under the thing

Are you really suggesting the poster travel all the way to Australia? Quantas has good fares now but why not use a lift? lol

M.

Guest Anonymous

Yea,

I took my 2002 with the new noise by my mechanic after work today. He put it up on the lift right away and said that it was just a loose part of the exhaust pipe. He said its really easy to fix. So to my relief, no engine trouble.

He did notice that my car is hard to re-start if you just turned it off moments earlier. So, he wants to look at that when I bring the car back later this week. I'm glad my starting trouble was not just due to my bad starting style.

Morris