• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coilovers and strut bearings

Do the adjustable camber plates take the place of the strut bearings on the front suspension?

I am planning on running shortened Tii struts with a Ground Control coilover kit with Bilstien rabbit inserts and adjustable camber plates.

Thanks!

The purpose of the adj. plates is to set camber and castor for the track conditions. I would not use them for a street car nor would I go to coil overs for a street car. The ride will be too harsh. G

Well I certainly will be going with coilovers in a street car. The harshness is a personal thing and can largely be altered depending on what spring rate is used. Harshness is not an inherent quality to a coilover...

My question is more in regards to the fact that many owners have stated that as your lower the car, you begin to get more positive camber, even with the fixed camber plates, so I am assuming that the correction for this would be the adjustable camber plates. No?

geometry can change and the lower control arms can become almost horizontal. As you load the suspension, they deflect upwards and you go to positive camber. Bump steer is one of the descriptions of this behavior.

Lee was selling spacer plates that attach between the strut and lower control arms to help correct this geometry problem. IIRC, Korman also sells them.

As for the camber plates, you'll get relatively limited mileage (check Ireland's site) before the spherical bearings wear out and need to be replaced.

Regards,

John N

geometry can change and the lower control arms can become almost horizontal. As you load the suspension, they deflect upwards and you go to positive camber. Bump steer is one of the descriptions of this behavior.

Lee was selling spacer plates that attach between the strut and lower control arms to help correct this geometry problem. IIRC, Korman also sells them.

As for the camber plates, you'll get relatively limited mileage (check Ireland's site) before the spherical bearings wear out and need to be replaced.

Regards,

John N

Thanks John. The spacers sound good.