• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

121 Head on a 1974 2002 - Gasket?

Andres

Our little yellow 1974 2002 had a bit of a dummy spit and decided it would like to mix it's coolant and oil together. I've pulled the head off, and had it welded and machined so it's ready to go back together (hopefully) but I've discovered in my readings that the 1974 model shouldn't have the 121 head that I've found fitted to our car!

Which leads me to the question, are all the headgaskets the same for the different heads? And also, if there a preferred brand / material / retailer?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Andres

1974 BMW 2002 - Golf Yellow

And also, if there a preferred brand / material / retailer?

Thanks,

Andres

Andres, the shop that checked the head on my tii mainly builds race engines. The owner told me he only uses Fel-Pro which is what I bought after getting Skips nod of approval as well. So far, so good.

Hope that helps.

Doug

'73 tii Atlantik

Reinz are good too, oem iirc.

I have a reinz now on my turboed engine and it hold 18psi since 2002(year) and has overcome a lot of detonation (while i was tuning the sds).

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel