• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

head gasket and temperature

Balzonia

my 75 2002 is running hot even with the heater on and my buddy tells me it could be a head gasket thats wearing out and recomended a leak test and maybe a head gasket swap. any thoughts about that with these cars? i'm thinking more thermostat or just droppin in a new rad.

tahnks,

-HB

Guest Anonymous
my 75 2002 is running hot even with the heater on and my buddy tells me it could be a head gasket thats wearing out and recomended a leak test and maybe a head gasket swap. any thoughts about that with these cars? i'm thinking more thermostat or just droppin in a new rad. tahnks, -HB

Do you really think these cars are any different than other water cooled internal combustion engines? Your temp problems could be one or even a combination of all the possibilities you mentioned. It could also be that your temperature gauge is not accurate.

Why not start at the beginning? First, make sure you are really overheating. Next, try the least drastic possibility first: test the thermostat. Have someone knowledgeable examine your radiator. A "leak test" is not necessarily definitive regarding head gasket issues unless the leak is pronounced. Can't you objectively determine if you are loosing coolant or if other fluids are cross-contaminated? Lastly, read the archives. This topic has been covered before.