• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical/Vacuum Distributor, pertronix...

WBeaumont

Photobucket

Photobucket

Right, at the moment my car is close to being back on the road but i have timing issues. At the moment i have twin carbs on a BMW ti inlet manifold and a vacuum advance distributor (which could be crap and need overhauling, when it was on my 1602 a lot of the problems we put down to timing and it is from a '75 which from what i have picked up is not a good thing for a distributor) which the vacuum bit isn't connected to anything.

I do have another vacuum advance distributor from a '73 2002 touring.

What do i do:

-buy a tii mechanical advance distributor at quite a high cost, probably too much?

-spend some time plumbing in one of my vacuum advance distributors?

-if so which one?

-or do i convert to pertronixs electrical ignition*?

Will

*small question about pertronix on a vacuum advance distributor; do you need to have the diaphragm connected up if you have removed the points and replaced it with a petronix kit? does it still use the vacuum advance? if so how?

That wasn't a small question i know i am sorry, it wasn't even a series of small questions saying it just softened the blow.

For sidedrafts you need a mechanical advance dizzy. Otherwise if you plumb a vac line to one of the cylinders it gets full vacuum and advances too quick - crap running.

Also a Pertronix only replaces the points, it does not change the advancing mechanism, regardless of whether it’s a mechanical or vacuum dizzy.

A board member may be able to help out with a mech dizzy.

Good luck, Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver