• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iridium Spark Plugs

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have read the discourse as to the collective wisdom that platinum tipped spark plugs do not work "as well as" the copper core/nickel tipped variety in M10 and M30 engines. I have never really understood why, other than the notion that the voltage draw for the platinum tips is greater than the older varieties and that having an electronic (non-points) ignition system may be a major reason. Is this true for just the Bosch platinum plugs or is it universally true for Autolite, Champion, Denso, NGK and the like?

Now, with the backdrop of $$ oil prices, I keep reading/hearing about the equally expensive rare metal Iridium spark plugs. Have any of you used them with your M10 or M30 engines? Aside from reducing the size of your wallets, are there any noticeable benefits to using these plugs? I have not noticed the same kind of resistance to using these Iridium plugs versus the platinum, but maybe I am just uninformed.

I hesitate to mention this, but the Bosch plugs I recently received from my supplier contain "Itrium" which is clearly different than "Iridium."

tia

Guest Anonymous

I thought I should add that the subject has been raised in the archives. And I am not advocating changing anything. I was just wondering.

SteveK recommended against using iridium because they run too hot. Maybe he could elaborate, since I would assume these plugs come in different heat ranges.

CD said stay with the stock offering. This may be sound advice.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,267388/

Unless someone has actually taken the step in experimenting, how would one really know anything about the advertised benefits of these newer products? I also noticed that the post was quite old and perhaps there are now more informed different opinions.

2x tia

The biggest advantage of iridium, platinum etc. type plugs is longevity, their electrodes do not wear at the same rate as copper plugs. this makes them great for newer cars that have near impossible access to some of the plugs, thus they can meet the 80k to 100k change intervals that manufacturers specify. On an 02 this is not really an issue. In short, they work fine but are not worth the $, and offer no performance advantage on a 2002.

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special