• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii running a little rough after re-build

SBriggs

With a 292 and 10:1 you are lean all the way across the board. The pump will probably fall behind after about 3k or so when you get some lift and never be able to keep up. Plugs wont show much, except they will look very clean.

Dont hesitate, I would get a Wide O2 band kit for the car (Innovate Motorsports has some nice kits... worth every penny). You will probably need at least 1 full turn in on the do not touch screw to start with, but its hard to say without watching the mixture at full load/partial load etc.

Like everyone said, replace ALL bushings and ends, the linkage has to be PERFECT to start with. Or you will be messing with it constantly. Yes the distributor has to be perfect too, get it rebuilt, there is an option on the 02 faq here, and another person in the midwest doing this service. Its not expensive either.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Justin

"The pump will probably fall behind after about 3k or so when you get some lift and never be able to keep up". Does that mean I need amore powerful pump?

Regards SB

1973 BMW 2002 Tii

1973 Dino 246 GT

1973 Porsche 911 T

1964 Lotus 7 SII Cosworth

Ray

Yes, it is hunting. I also notice that when I take my foot off the gas pedal with the clutch down, the revs do not drop immediately, which is odd given the lighter flywheel. I had not seen those links, thank you. No idea what plugs are in there, but they are new! Thanks for the advice.

Regards SB

1973 BMW 2002 Tii

1973 Dino 246 GT

1973 Porsche 911 T

What I am suggesting is that you will need to make adjustments to the pump to compensate for the larger cam (stock settings wont be enough fuel past about 3k rpm). Again you need a Wideband O2 sensor to do this properly. You should be able to feed it enough fuel, or close to it.

CO gauge wont provide much help... setting a good CO at idle is straightfoward assuming the linkage is in good shape and has little or no effect about overall running operation once the throttle butter fly opens up. However the relationship between the throttle butterfly (half-moon piece) and the lower shaft can have a pretty dramatic effect on mixture.

Read the tii tuning guide from the tiiregistry.com. Understand all of this before you touch ANYTHING on the car...

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Justin is talking about the mechanical FI pump, not the electric fuel pump.

I think you have some good leads in this thread; report back with your progress.

Cheers,

Ray

Justin

"The pump will probably fall behind after about 3k or so when you get some lift and never be able to keep up". Does that mean I need amore powerful pump?

Regards SB

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Guys

Many thanks, I am sure I have enough leads and suggestions for us (really my mechanic) to resolve the problem. I shall post the results in due course.

Regards

Sean

1973 BMW 2002 Tii

1973 Dino 246 GT

1973 Porsche 911 T

Justin and Ray

Many thanks again for your help, much of which I'm afraid is over my head, but Pawel the mechanic should be able to understand.

I have had a look at the Innovate web site and there are three o2 kits: Basic LM-1, RPM LMA-2 and Auto Box LMA-3. Am I looking at the correct things and which one do you recommend I buy?

Regards

Sean

1973 BMW 2002 Tii

1973 Dino 246 GT

1973 Porsche 911 T