• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Taillights

eugene_'02

I just took out my taillights and replaced the lenses. I also bought a some Piaa superwhite 1156 bulbs. I have two sets of taillights and I noticed they have different bulbs. The set I bought used for the taillights had only the large 1156 21w sylvania bulbs but mine have two smaller bulbs that appear to be original(brass casing and quite corroded). I was looking at the markings on the taillight housing and wondering if it would be ok to put the Piaa bulbs in all 4 holes or if I need to find replacement lower watt bulbs for the hole with the marking 5W/6CP next to it. I don't want to overdraw and cause any harm to the circuit so I'm hesitant to put the Piaa bulbs in there, at the same time I know that is just a rating and not what it is always putting out. Any suggestions? Does anyone know what the CP stands for in the 5W6CP? Does anyone know of a good reflective paint to re-paint the housing with? Finally does anyone know where to get the taillight gaskets (part# 63211351664) for less than realoem.com (19$ each)?

Thanks, Alex.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just took out my taillights and replaced the lenses. I also bought a some Piaa superwhite 1156 bulbs. I have two sets of taillights and I noticed they have different bulbs. The set I bought used for the taillights had only the large 1156 21w sylvania bulbs but mine have two smaller bulbs that appear to be original(brass casing and quite corroded). I was looking at the markings on the taillight housing and wondering if it would be ok to put the Piaa bulbs in all 4 holes or if I need to find replacement lower watt bulbs for the hole with the marking 5W/6CP next to it. I don't want to overdraw and cause any harm to the circuit so I'm hesitant to put the Piaa bulbs in there, at the same time I know that is just a rating and not what it is always putting out. Any suggestions? Does anyone know what the CP stands for in the 5W6CP? Does anyone know of a good reflective paint to re-paint the housing with? Finally does anyone know where to get the taillight gaskets (part# 63211351664) for less than realoem.com (19$ each)?

Thanks, Alex.

I would be hesitant to put more wattage than specified. Additional wattage would mean more produced heat.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

I would be hesitant to put more wattage than specified. Additional wattage would mean more produced heat.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

I updated the left light on the car pictured. I replaced all the bulbs with BMW standard bulbs. Then I cleaned the reflectors as well as I could and applied very sticky aluminium foil tape to act as a reflector. IThis car was flooded by Katrina, the lights don't work at all now!

Rearlightrejuvenation_0002.jpg

Rearlightrejuvenation_0006.jpg

Rearlightrejuvenation_0005.jpg

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

I updated the left light on the car pictured. I replaced all the bulbs with BMW standard bulbs. Then I cleaned the reflectors as well as I could and applied very sticky aluminium foil tape to act as a reflector. IThis car was flooded by Katrina, the lights don't work at all now!

Rearlightrejuvenation_0002.jpg

Rearlightrejuvenation_0006.jpg

Rearlightrejuvenation_0005.jpg

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

my old lenses were kind of like that. I attacked them with some Meguires plastic cleaner. Take them out and clean the inside plastic surfaces.

Here are some before and after. It made a huge difference.

OldLeft.jpgbefore

OldLeftClean.jpgafter

Cleaners.jpgthe stuff

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White