• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering gear theory question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I replaced a number of steering components (upper strut mounts, tie rods, drag link, etc.) and took the car over to the neighborhood alignment shop to double check the alignment. The Bear drive-over alignment gauge indicates 0 degrees which is fine by me. While I was checking and double checking, the shop owner advised me to make sure the steering gear should be on the loose side rather than too tight.

I can understand that a steering gear that is too tight may cause the steering to bind and wear prematurely. However, the owner said the box should be left loose for another reason. He claimed that it is insurance for when you hit a curb or a pot hole so that the initial shock/load is not absorbed by the box. This does not make sense to me. While I am not prone to striking curbs or chuck holes, road hazards and accidents do happen. I got the impression that with the steering on the "looser" side (according to this person), I might get a few free bumps without needing to replace parts or reset alignment. Funny thing is I do not recall my CJ-7 as having a particularly loose front end.

Your constructive thoughts are appreciated.

Guest Anonymous

The alignment guy is a moron. With more play in the steering gear you are MORE likely to hit potholes or curbs because your steering isn't tight enough to swerve quick enough. duh

sounds reasonable to me, and as others have said on this forum before, i think.

when you tighten the steering gear box, you put the worm gear and the other gear (forget the name, im drunk) closer together, thus when you hit something, the two gears slam together, and crap gets broken. if farther apart, not as much risk of damaging things.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Guest Anonymous

Correct adjustment yes---- loose to help save it? no

Solution ----- don't hit stuff.

This is a ridiculous theory that having slop in your steering will save you from damage.

Guest Anonymous

Then the question becomes, is the "proper" adjustment designed to be loose enough to avoid transmitting shock AND consequential damage? Or is it (the proper adjustment) designed merely to provide decent steering that will need repair, adjustment or replacement for every moderate impact?

I do not disagree with you. However, I have been in our front wheel drive AUDI as a passenger when someone has smashed the right front wheel against a curb (does this habitually!). All I can say is that it seems that car was designed to handle more abuse that the 02. I do not know if it is inherent in the FWD design, or if it is a question of stronger parts, but I am confident my 02 would not survive such abuse.

Because I do my utmost to avoid road hazards, I have not really considered how strong the steering linkage and its assorted components really are. The theory of "slightly loose" to ensure parts longevity seems to make sense, but it may just be wishful thinking.

Slightly loose encourages easy movement, but isn't precise guidance what we are really after. I guess if we had to realign the cars after each trip to the stop-n-go, I would feel differently.

as others have pointed out, you want the steering to be precise and responsive - not loose. Besides, the steering, taken as one full system of connected series of links, there are things that will go first before the gears take a severe damaging load.

There is also a little guibo in the steering column that probably helps with sudden loads- probably unique to older bmw's (?)

My personal experience is that the steering wheel will move if the pot hole or curb is a big one - hence taking a lot of the load.

My experience in the shop is that during severe collisions, the tie rods always go first, then the linkages, then the pitman arm, and finally (and rarely) the steering box. I am talking big hits not pot holes.

I would take his advice with a grain of salt...it is probably based on some faulty reasoning...

FAQ Member # 91

Guest Anonymous

He is absolutely wrong. If the gear is lose the part on one side gets moving and impacts the other part. Impacts are bad as the force between the parts is doubled. If the whole system is tight then the flexing of the system will lower the loads on the connected parts.

First time at a drag strip I was way over my head and the starter took pity on me and advised me to get the drive line components wound up so there was no slack before I dropped the clutch or I was likely to break a drive component from the impact of the slack take up.

Trust me the guy had a reason for telling you this tall tale maybe a tight gearbox would reveal a bad job on his part but the reason he gave you was wrong.

Have fun and keep asking questions we all learn from them.