• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 240 5 speed conversion

satsuma

Hi all.

I recently brought two tii's with the plan of restoring one of them. Along with the cars I also brought a Getrag 240 overdrive 5 speed from a 318, the box has the same mounts as a stock '02 4 speed and runs a speedo cable. I have seen the conversions for the Getrag 245, but none for the 240, I need to double check my measurements for how much needs to be chopped off the prop shaft. Does anyone have any numbers or know of anyone who has done a conversion?

Cheers

Ben

73 2002 Targa

75 Tii Lux (Restoring)

Hmm I take it that this box is rare?? I took another look at it today and i was wrong as the mount is more towards the back of the car that the standard '02 4 speed. By about 20mm or 3/4".

I dropped the prop shaft off at my local fab shop and asked them to cut off 47mm (1 7/8") I hope its right :) If anyone hears of different numbers please let me know.

Cheers

Ben

73 2002 Targa

75 Tii Lux (Restoring)

I'm 100% on the speedo as part of the old cable is sticking out.

It has a 3 bolt flange similar to the automatic. I will take some pics tomorrow and post them.

It was the main reason why I brought the cars off the guy, he told me over the phone that he had a 5 speed box, I assumed it was out of a '02. I drove up to collect (380 miles!!) one of the cars and the gear box, it ended up that it was out of a early 318. I was a very disappointed to say the least but I gave him £50 for it instead of £250 and took a risk.

It seems that it wasn't a complete wast of time, I hope!

The car, a 75 tii Lux...

25_11_2007 017.jpg

73 2002 Targa

75 Tii Lux (Restoring)

We (at least me) assumed E30, as soon as you named the price, I realized it was an E21.

The Getrag 240 5-speed was available in the US in the 1983 E21. It is an overdrive unit but considered less desirable than the 245/4 5-speed.

If you're going for a high performance engine, its said to be a less than ideal choice.

Regards,

John N

I have read that they are meant to be a weaker box than the 245, but only on the bimmers web site. What this is based on I don't know, might be a single persons opinion?

I would expect the quality of the moving parts would be very similar to the 245, the weight is only a few lbs different.

This was on a Opel website "GETRAG 5 SPEED (type 240)

With .87:1 fifth gear. One of the finest quality built transmissions in the world."

Will get the pics up shortly.

Ben

73 2002 Targa

75 Tii Lux (Restoring)

Guest Anonymous
I have read that they are meant to be a weaker box than the 245, but only on the bimmers web site. What this is based on I don't know, might be a single persons opinion?

The biggest difference is that the 240 box has 1pc aluminum selector forks and shafts which are a little less durable than the brass/steel fork and shaft assembly in the 245. When they are worn beyond an acceptable point it can cause the kick-out-into-neutral symptom you get with old tranny's sometimes. For street use it should probably be fine for quite a long time assuming it hasn't been abused or run short on oil in the past. For Auto-x or track use I'd prefer a 245 though.

Just about all bimmers made after the mid-80's have aluminum selector forks, so as long as you keep oil in it and don't beat on it too hard it could last for a long time.

Guest Anonymous

across the rear of the housing than the 245 (unfortunately, right in the area where clearance between the transmission case and the '02 tunnel is at the tightest) - it's the other factor (in addition to the strength/durability issues) that makes the 245 the preferable unit. Overall length should be the same.