• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BMW 320 rear drum upgrade.

cowlum

I was out brake testing my car today and fonud that the rears lock up shortly (very shortly) before the front brake.

I have Volvo calipers upfront and 320 drums in the rear. Does anyone else with the same upgrade suffer the same issue?

looks like I might have to buy and install a brake bias valve :(

'Old Blu' the 1974 fjord BMW 2002.

"your my boy blu!"

Unless you put the large (22mm?) cylinders in back,

this is a sign that something's not right.

It's pretty easy to balance brakes by using different pad material...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Could you tell em about what type of pads I need to ask for to reduce the grip of the rear brakes? Or point me to a resource for where brake ratings/pad materials are explained in detail?

As a hair brained scheme I was thinking of installing a brake pressure regulator from a 318 or 320 or any other euro I find at the wreckers.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1812&mospid=47171&btnr=34_0096&hg=34&fg=15

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1381&mospid=47271&btnr=34_0154&hg=34&fg=15

A regulater allows a certain amount of pressure to the rears then cuts off the supply forcing all higher pressure to the front.

'Old Blu' the 1974 fjord BMW 2002.

"your my boy blu!"

Get an adjustable bias valve (tilton) from Cardwell racing and install it in the line that runs to the rear.

If your car doesn't have a LVV cert then put the valve somewhere where the WOF inspector is unlikely to see it. If you don't care about such things then install it somewhere where you can adjust it whi8le you're drving