• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front End Thunk...Tie Rods?

FL02

Hello, I sometimes get a thunk sound in my front end when I go over bumps at an angle moving forward. It's a wierd sound sort of an "errnt" and it comes from the drivers side more than the passenger side. I'm also getting a 'slight' wobble up front and am starting to think it's my tie rods or something. Otherwise the car drives and tacks good, I just get a wierd sound when going over bumps at an angle. Anyone else have this problem? Steering box feels good and the wheel berrings don't feel too loose. Not sure what to check, fix or tighten to keep it from making noise over medium size bumps at an angle more tuning left than right. Thanks.

...in addition to the NORMAL inspection

points (TIE ROD ENDS, BALL JOINTS, BUSHINGS,

IDLER ARM BEARINGS, FRONT RODS, ANTI-SWAY

BAR MOUNTS, and FRONT SUBFRAME BOLTS,

MOTOR MOUNTS) look again closely at the subframe

arm where the steering gear box is mounted

for loose bolts or cracking.Wipe it clean and

get a big bright light up from the underside

to see the crack.

31-7331858.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Are ball joints a tough fix/install? Should I bring it in to have it done + wheel alignment. I've been looking at the alignment posts, but I think it's the ball joint like you said going out on one side. I'll probably get some new one, just wondering if I should install them myself.

Well, one of the Tie Rods are no good, passanger side one wobbles when I turn the wheel from side to side w/ car on jackstands. You can see the Passenger side tie rode move up and down and it looks shot. I think that was the front end wobble/chatter I've been having in my hands. As far as the thunk or errnt sound, it might be a ball joint. I'll double check em when I put on the tie rods, otherwise the front end inspection went pretty well, no cracks, etc. Thanks.