• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dizzy Firing Order Question

Stacey

This question crossed my mind in diagnosing a slight ping I have, and I don't think I've ever came across this question in the posts over the years. Is the 2002 dizzy wire placement sensitive to firing order. I.e. should the plug wires for the respective cylinder be plugged into a specific cap location - obviously aligned with the rotor at TDC? For example, the VW Bosch dizzy retards slightly the spark delivery for one of the cylinders. Though it will run when stabbed and aligned under the #1 plug wire, you get one piston firing earlier than it should, and one firing late.

Stacey
Columbus, OH
No cup holders, by design.
'76 O=00=O   '77 R100RS  '85 K100 '01 325CI   '05 330XI ZSP   '80 Porsche 911SC

Not firing order. It won't run if they're not in correct order. Specifically, placement of the wires on the cap. You can have the wires on the cap 180 degr off, and as long as the dizzy is stabbed with the rotor pointing 180 deg off as well, it'll run.

Stacey
Columbus, OH

I think what you are saying is = Are all the terminal posts inside the cap exactly 90 degrees from each other? If they are then it does not matter which way round you place the cap. You then go on to say not all cars (VW bettle for example) are exactly 90 apart. If this is what you are saying then I dont know. If there was im sure there would be obvious markings on the cap. Anyone got one close they can inspect?

'Old Blu' the 1974 fjord BMW 2002.

"your my boy blu!"

I just looked at my dizzy, keep in mind I have the bosch replacement w/ the red cap. There are no markings on the cap to clarify which way it should sit on the dizzy. Now the original 08 dizzies may be different or a non-tii dizzy may be different. Someone else will have to chime in on that category.

Ben

'74tii-malaga

TAKE YOUR CAP OFF AND LOOK AT THE RIM OR THE DISTRIBUTOR .

THERE IS A MARK ON THE RIM AT ONE LOCATION .

THE ROTOR SHOULD BE POINTING AT THIS MARK WHEN THE #1

PISTON IS AT TOP DEAD CENTER & BOTH VALVES ARE CLOSED .

CHESK THE REST OF THE WIRES ACCORDING TO THE ZUNDFOLGE : 1342

( THE ROTOR TURNS CLOCKWISE ) ( UNLESS YOU HAVE A 318i MOTOR )

reodor.gif

Are all the terminal posts inside the cap exactly 90 degrees from each other?

That doesn't matter. A few degrees one way or the other on the CAP doesn't change timing. Remember that the advances move maybe 20 degrees, and the cap doesn't change position...

What MATTERS is the lumps on the cam shaft that actuates the points.

The aircooled VW's have slightly asymmetric dizzy cams, so you don't get a spark every 90 degrees.

I've never heard that the BMW dizzy isn't symmetric- and our cooling systems are good, so I wouldn't expect any change. The Pertronix and Crane modules time at 90 degrees.... but that doesn't prove much.

fwiw,

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks. I've set it up per Haynes Manual etc, and my assumption was it was assymetrical. But, I like to test my assumptions now and again. Those that set around all day thinking about the symetry of their dizzy lobes probably do have a problem. Admiting that is the first step. I'm not yet clear on what the other 11 steps are yet.

Thanks for all the comments.

Stacey
Columbus, OH