• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

yet another exhaust manifold stud question

rami

I'm in the process of replacing my exhaust manifold studs. Got new studs and copper nuts from the dealer. Got the old ones out by double nutting them. I have read the faq on this subject. It says studs should be finger tight and to clean the threads with a thread chaser. There is no way I can install the new studs with only my fingers, way too tight, so I used a tap to clean up one of the threads. I used the correct thread tap (M8 x 1.25). When I did this, some aluminium shavings came out. Now the stud screws in easily with my fingers, but I'm worried that too much material is removed when using a tap and that it may leak oil. Should I continue to use a tap on the rest of the holes, or just clean them up brake cleaner as best I can? Is a "thread chaser" (what the faq recommends) the same thing as a tap? Also, which of the bottom 4 stud holes leads to an oil passage? I assume I don't want to spray brake cleaner into them then, just wipe out with a rag / paper towel?

thanks

Graeme

Guest Anonymous

Though I'm guilty of often using taps as thread cleaning devices...the CORRECT method involves the use of a "THREAD CHASER" - they're less aggressive - and usually gold in color - they remove less material and are really handy for aluminum threads. I'm not sure if Sears sells them - they're a bit less common than taps - but useful in your 2002 tool arsenal.

I bet a google search will find you a set easily. Get good ones! I use red loctite on exh. studs, and they've never given me a problem - just use heat if you have to remove them later.

HTH!

Paul Wegweiser

The daeler ususlly sells the fully threaded studs for 2002's which are wrong. The correct ones have a threadless section in the middle that digs in to hold when you install them with a proper stud installer/setter and I always use blue loc-tite as a leak stopper. Hand tight is an old wives tale told by people w/o stud remover sockets, if it's hand tight it'll just back out and become loose.

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

thank you for all replies. i got the correct studs from dealer with threadless centre section. i will try to find a "thread chaser". finding one through google is not as easy as one would guess.

For a picture of what you want see https://www.mactools.com and do a search for TRMSET then choose the first item.

post-786-13667574985002_thumb.jpg

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20