• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CA Blue Plate question

tsteph12

This has been discussed in a similar context, but have seen inconsistent opinions....If a CA blue plate car still has both front and rear plates, old title linking plates to VIN, but has fallen off the DMV system, is it possible to register this car to a new owner and still keep the original plates? If so, please be specific as to the proper steps involved. Thanks in advance.

T.R.

yes, your scenario is possible. the key to success is finding a dmv employee willing to help you. there is a recent thread on this, one post gave the phone number you need for the special bureau in sacto. search it up. i think its called special research unit. call there, and maybe you handle the matter from the top down.

i can't reiterate enough how important it is to get a friend at dmv- you can't do this at the auto club. you'll have to do a vin verification, though.

plan on several trips to dmv. five different dmv employees told me it could not be done- only my persistence let me find a cool, smart dmv employee. there's your hint to the overall situation. i'm probably going to hell, i actually hit on the heavy woman who came through for me.

hth

rj

no..not unless the same, original blue plates are currently on the car and registered with DMV

Front and rear original blue plates are still on the car. The last registration from mid-eighties shows that VIN matches plates on car.

T.R.

yes, your scenario is possible. the key to success is finding a dmv employee willing to help you. there is a recent thread on this, one post gave the phone number you need for the special bureau in sacto. search it up. i think its called special research unit. call there, and maybe you handle the matter from the top down.

i can't reiterate enough how important it is to get a friend at dmv- you can't do this at the auto club. you'll have to do a vin verification, though.

plan on several trips to dmv. five different dmv employees told me it could not be done- only my persistence let me find a cool, smart dmv employee. there's your hint to the overall situation. i'm probably going to hell, i actually hit on the heavy woman who came through for me.

hth

rj

Thanks for the reply and information. I did a search for this "special unit" with DMV, but could not locate the link. Does anyone hear still have this link info from a prior discussion? Thanks.

T.R.

I bought a '76 with plates intact that had fallen off of the DMV radar (not registered for over 5 years).

I was required to provide a smog certificate and get the car "verified" either by a police officer or a DMV employee. I did have a title and registration showing those plates for that car. That was it. I accomplished this at the Santa Clara DMV which is apparently one of the easier branches to deal with.

Good Luck

JB

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

This has been discussed in a similar context, but have seen inconsistent opinions....If a CA blue plate car still has both front and rear plates, old title linking plates to VIN, but has fallen off the DMV system, is it possible to register this car to a new owner and still keep the original plates? If so, please be specific as to the proper steps involved. Thanks in advance.

T.R.

Yes, I have done this. Since you have the title it should straight-forward. You may have to go directly to the DMV, not the autoclub; if they give you a hassle, get a temporary registration permit, take the car to the DMV, they will register the car with new plates, have them photocopy the old plates, old title (keep copiies for yourself-do not surrender the plates) make an application to re-authorize the plates, it is a statement of facts/special circumstances, eventually the original registration/plates will be authorized.

RK in OC

ex- 67 1600ti/Aplina

http://rogerspeed.tripod.com/bmw_1600tialpina/

83 A/R Spider Veloce

"I come from a broken home, I should know, I broke it" Bazooka Joe

I bought a '76 with plates intact that had fallen off of the DMV radar (not registered for over 5 years).

I was required to provide a smog certificate and get the car "verified" either by a police officer or a DMV employee. I did have a title and registration showing those plates for that car. That was it. I accomplished this at the Santa Clara DMV which is apparently one of the easier branches to deal with.

Good Luck

JB

Thanks for the info. The car in question is a '72, so no smog certificate required.

T.R.

Yes, I have done this. Since you have the title it should straight-forward. You may have to go directly to the DMV, not the autoclub; if they give you a hassle, get a temporary registration permit, take the car to the DMV, they will register the car with new plates, have them photocopy the old plates, old title (keep copiies for yourself-do not surrender the plates) make an application to re-authorize the plates, it is a statement of facts/special circumstances, eventually the original registration/plates will be authorized.

Thanks RK! Great information.

T.R.

Guest Anonymous

black plate cars.

As long as you have a clear CA title that matches the car's vin and plates, along with the last registration and both plates, the DMV will ultimately give in and register the car on original plates - mostly it requires persistance, and refusing (politely) to give in to the DMV's preference for doing it the easiest way.

I've generally gotten the best results by being one of the first people into the office in the morning (or setting the earliest possible appointment - it really helps to get to the counter before the DMV folks have gotten frustrated from dealing with yahoos all day), then using an "I really hope you can help me with this" approach with the DMV clerk.

Most of the clerks I've delt with will pull out all the stops to show off their expertise at manipulating the system - if you happen to get one that won't, remember that you can always say "thanks for your help - I'll deal with this another time" and walk away from the counter- with all your paperwork. Whatever you do, DON'T surrender either the plates or paperwork - once the DMV has 'em, it's highly unlikely that you'll never get 'em back.