• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

*Door stop group buy reminder*

Armond

We have a little over 1 week left. [b] Please be reminded that some proceeds will go to the FAQ. This is a great product It will go to e-pay if it does not sell here first. This is the time to buy if you think your door stops is ready to go or to keep as spare. Details can be seen on the parts section. Thanks everyone. :) Potential savings per pair is between 20 to 35 bucks based on e-pay history.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

Ask Mike Hannigan. C'mon, you know the how to answer that question yourself. Don't go around the bush and ask the real question. And please learn how to use your keyboard too while you're at it. Sheeez!

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

Mario Andretti

I REALLY DON'T NEED ANY MORE RIGHT NOW .

IN FACT , I AM SELLING SOME TOO !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-2002-NEW-IMPROOVED-DOOR-BRAKE-CHECK-HOLDER-OPENER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33642QQihZ011QQitemZ320082969766QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I HAVE BEEN MAKING THESE FOR SOME TIME NOW . WHEN I STARTED , THERE WERE NO OTHER OPTIONS . I HAVE MADE VERY FEW SINCE THE

MOBILE TRADITION VERSION BECAME AVAILABLE

THIS IS MY LAST SET OTHER THAN THE ONES I AM USING IN MY CARS .

reodor.gif

If the the MB works then that will make us all happy. Esty, please report to us if it will work. I'll buy one. Thanks

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

Mario Andretti

If the the MB works then that will make us all happy. Esty, please report to us if it will work. I'll buy one. Thanks

i don't know if they'll work...i saw rimspokes comment then did some googleing....i was asking if you knew if they are the same...i don't have a clue other than they appear to be the same based on the pictures...i found them on MB parts website for $19.00

if they are the same, that's a knock out price

Esty, I'm sure Mike H. modified them to work. It would be great if the MB would work just the way they are but I would doubt it.

AP

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

Mario Andretti

Verrry interrrestink!

I am intrigued and would love to know what we are really seeing here. Here is the "group buy" part:

17a2_1.JPG

Compared to the known mercedes parts:

O301044960APA.JPG

and:

3b12_1.JPG

The group buy part is indeed slightly different but not by much - look at the extra bumps for the ball detents on the sides and the shape of the hole for the bent-in retaining tab at the back end (the tab probably just keeps the strap captive until installation, anyway) and the lack of a third mounting point.

My three guesses are that the group-buy part is from another model Mercedes, a rear door, or from the second-source supplier to MB. As far as modifications, it only looks like maybe the group buy part has had the third mounting point (with threaded insert) cut off the back end.

Hmmmmm.... RIMSPOKE, have you ever tried your in-hand Mercedes part in a 2002?

One final thought: These alternative door brakes are designed for "modern" car doors that could weigh twice as much as an '02 door and so my big concern would be that they might have too-stiff an action. That would put extra force on the fairly wimpy attachment point on the A pillar and could eventually tear it off.

Nonetheless, I'm all for finding alternatives 'cause the cost of the "official" parts is slightly ridiculous for what they are. I am sure detents can be weakened somehow - maybe that is one of the group-buy part's mods?

regards,

Zenon

'73 2002 Verona (Megasquirt/318i EFI conversion, daily driver)
http://www.zeebuck.com

This is great. We can study it and make our own. Maybe RIMSPOKE or anyone from this board can make a bunch and make it available here before it goes to e-bay. It has to be dirt cheap of course.

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

Mario Andretti

This is great. We can study it and make our own. Maybe RIMSPOKE or anyone from this board can make a bunch and make it available here before it goes to e-bay. It has to be dirt cheap of course.

Or maybe we can just determine the true source and story behind the "custom-built" units and cut out the middleman and save a bunch of dough for other fun parts. Looks to me like the group-buy parts are not very modified at all and in the absence of a clear explanation of the much-touted but unspecified "customizations" what else is one to go by? If they really are "custom", then there should be no concern about folks using any cheap MB part instead 'cause they wouldn't be very comparable, right?

Time was, '02ers would discover something like this and then happily share the info freely for everyone's benefit rather than try to cash-in. I am all for making a buck if you can come up with a better product or service but this is essentially just auto parts arbitrage. Scalping, almost.

Of course, in an auction format the suckers set their own price and you could argue he is earning the profit by bringing the product to a new audience or whatever. But not so much in a group buy.

At the very least, rimspoke's parts have some obvious effort applied to justify their mark-up and he is forthright about what they are and what he does to them.

regards,

Zenon

Or maybe we can just determine the true source and story behind the "custom-built" units and cut out the middleman and save a bunch of dough for other fun parts. Looks to me like the group-buy parts are not very modified at all and in the absence of a clear explanation of the much-touted but unspecified "customizations" what else is one to go by? If they really are "custom", then there should be no concern about folks using any cheap MB part instead 'cause they wouldn't be very comparable, right?

Time was, '02ers would discover something like this and then happily share the info freely for everyone's benefit rather than try to cash-in. I am all for making a buck if you can come up with a better product or service but this is essentially just auto parts arbitrage. Scalping, almost.

Of course, in an auction format the suckers set their own price and you could argue he is earning the profit by bringing the product to a new audience or whatever. But not so much in a group buy.

At the very least, rimspoke's parts have some obvious effort applied to justify their mark-up and he is forthright about what they are and what he does to them.

regards,

Zenon

Your comments are just bizzarre. And frankly, I could careless what you think. Mike Hannigan is NOT a member of this board. He knows he can sell this on e-bay and make more money. I really think that he is prefers not to sell here directly so he can avoid ungratelful people like you. Take a hike.

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

Mario Andretti

Your comments are just bizzarre. And frankly, I could careless what you think. Mike Hannigan is NOT a member of this board. He knows he can sell this on e-bay and make more money. I really think that he is prefers not to sell here directly so he can avoid ungratelful people like you. Take a hike.

Waaa!

What, exactly, should I be grateful for here? What favour are you and/or Mike doing folks by selling $20 door brakes for $70? I have no doubt that eBay sales are better for Mike because there he can avoid knowledgeable people who are not blind. (BTW, I'm not referring to myself here)

I'd say everything so far has been fair comment, though I do feel bad for you if you might now be sitting on 40 pairs of overpriced MB door brakes because you meant to do a good deed for the faqers while believing Mike's apparent storytelling about custom designs. Is that the case? It seems like your heart is in the right place but maybe you are too trusting.

If you/he can clearly explain/show how yours are not simply some re-labeled $20 door brakes, then I'm all wet. So let's hear it - I loves me some watersports, anyway. ;-)

regards,

Zenon

If I recall correctly from working on these personally, the strap needs to be shortened about 2 cm in order to work correctly with our cars, as well as needing the third mounting point hacked off.

If you look at the Hannigan versus Mercedes door checks, you'll see the strap that connects to the doorpin is laying one direction in one shot, and a different direction in the other. It looks to me like these have been shortened the proper amount, but I'm simply playing devil's advocate here.

I ended up going with a set off ebay, but not these. Mine are the large ones with the "S" shaped spring in them (like the ones RIMSPOKE is selling) and they seem to work fine for me.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog