• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Swap Advice

jazzgoose

Hi to all, I am in need of a little advice. I have just recently aquired a a 75 2002. My 71 2002 is in need of more mody work than I can deal with at this point. Both cars have strong engines. The 75 is stock and the 71 has a fuel injected engine from a 78 320i. I know that the 75s had a lot of emission control features in them making them a little less desirable and so forth. So I am wondering which is more desirable from a standpoint of rebuilding and adding performance. Can anyone offer me their thoughts on if I should swap the 320i engine into my 75 or not? I would like to rebuild it and add in some performance. Is this a good idea or is there more hope in its current motor. I am pretty new to these machines so the more I know before I proceed, the better. I am currently on deployment in the Navy and have a hard time logging on to the forum. I do have email and if anyone could email their thoughts that would be great. My email is casey.fischer@cvw7.navy.mil

Thanks,

Casey

what kind of body work ? Can you use the panels off the 75 for your 71 ? Then part the rest of the 75 for $$$$ to fund the rest of the body work on your 71. Personally, I think it's a draw. I feel the engines are the same, one being FI and the other carbed. Carbed engine cheaper to maintain in long run. Just me.