• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Need Help With My 76 BMW 2002

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just got a 1976 BMW 2002. It is not currently running and needs a radiator, work on the distributer, and because it has been sitting around for a few years probably needs a new battery, spark plugs, tires and a few other things. I need some help getting the car up and running and don't know where to bring it. If any one knows of a shop i can bring it in San Francisco i would love a recommendation! it also needs a paint job and some upholstery work so if any one knows where i can bring to get painted and stuffed that would be cool to! Oh did i forget to mention im working on a budget?

Welcome to the wonderful world of o2's.

You can log onto bayarea02.com for a list of shops etc..

Before you even think about paint and upholstry you NEED to get the smog dealt with, it can be very expensive. You could save a ton of money if you put some sweat equity into the easy fix stuff like a tune up, the radiator etc.. Working on these cars is really very simple and straight forward. Any shop you go to here in the bay area is going to hit you for ~$100-$125 an hour for labor and they are going to mark-up their parts, even very reputable shops will employ this practice. If you are dead set on having someone else do the work than I suggest that you spend $40 and join the BMWCCA (bmw car club of america). Joining the club will give you a myriad of benefits which include 10-20% discounts on parts and labor at various dealerships and some independent shops. There is also a local chapter that will provide you with additional benefits such as drivers schools, track days and auto crosses.

I am in Sunnyvale and would be willing to lend a hand to a fellow o2'er.

Best of Luck

Justin

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

thanks for the tips Justine! I want to do a lot of the work my self, but i have never done any real work on a car before so i was just thinking that id get some one ells to get the car to run again and then take over from there. is the smog a problem with 02's? What parts can i work on to get the smog down?

Cheers from the German!!!

newsig_zps3c66649e.jpg

1975 and 1976 require annual emissions visual inspections and sometimes tests in most emissions states. 1974 and older cars are generally exempt.

2002s are very easy to work on, and parts are generally in good supply. You would be best off to get a friendly local 02 owner to stop by and look over your 1976, and help you plan out the steps it might take to get it running and pass smog.

I rely on the FAQ search button more than any other source for guidance on working on 02s. If you find that you own a 2002 with 49-states-emissions, email me and I will send you the wiring diagram for your car. My diagram is not for the CA-emissions-version, though. A sticker in your engine bay and/or driver door will tell you which version you have.

67 Caribe 1600

76 Ceylon 2002

The 1976 cars have to pass smog here in california. A well tuned o2 will easily pass the smog test however the system that bmw used is very cantankerous and 30 years old. Some of the replacement parts can be expensive. I am currently banging my head against my '76 trying to find an idle miss just so I can go get a pre-test.

Go out and buy yourself the Haynes manual for your car and start reading. Start in the sections for tune-up, and radiator replacement. Read the sections thoroughly and go out and look at the car. Do all of the work in your head before you even open a tool box!!!!! If it still seems too intimidating then start making a plan to enlist some help or start talking to shops. The people on this board will be invaluable to get you through sticky situatios and most will tolerate even the most inane questions. I have been working on cars for 27+ years and I have been duped by the subtle nuances of these cars. I generally turn the very simple into some writhing monster (to much time with asian and american cars). These cars are just about as basic as you can get. Do not be afraid, go slow, take LOTS of pictures as you disassemble stuff and try your best to be confident. The confidence thing really makes a huge difference.

Things WILL break. Things WILL go wrong. You WILL bleed. When all is said and done (and healed) and you are jetting down the coast highway or through the headlands out to Stinson in a car that you yourself breathed life into the feeling will be as pure and golden as you have ever known.

Cheers

Justin

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

...But I'm moving to the Mission in just over a week. I'd offer to help but I'm the slowest wrench ever, and I'm waaay behind in packing for the move. If you have a way to get the car to San Rafael, you will not find a better shop than A-1 Imports Autoworks: http://a1importsautoworks.com/index.html

Cheers!

Davin (who was in SF)

London, England

1968 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe

Pressin' on regardless . . .

Good tips from albawhore, et al. Did you agree with the seller that you would be responsible for getting a smog check? If not, the seller is legally responsible for that. Since it can potentially be very expensive, go back to the seller for the smog check.

Passing the smog check is not just a matter of replacing parts. First you find out if it will pass. One way to do that is to go to a smog check station and ask for an unofficial 'pre-test'. You do that rather than the official test, because you don't want your car recorded with the state as a gross polluter. Some shops (if they have a gas analyzer) can do something which approximates the pre-test. If your car passes, great. If not, you need to diagnose the problem based on the test results. Also, you must make certain that all of the original emissions control equipment is installed properly and operating.

An excellent shop in the East Bay is Bavarian Professionals in Berkeley at 510 524-6000. They are one of the few good independent BMW shops that will work on 2002s, and they offer a BMW CCA discount.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators