• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Upper shock mount help needed.

76duece

So a guy in a brown outfit left me a gift today from IE. Poly rear upper shock mounts where in the box(among other things). After taking my stock rubber mounts out, I see there is a metal collar that goes through the middle like a sleeve over the shock shaft. The IE mounts fit tight around the shock without the collar, where the rubber mounts used the collar. Would it be a bad idea to drill the IE mounts out to use the sleeve? BMW usually does things right, and the metal sleeve might tighten things up a little more and add some wear protection. Has anybody experienced this? any thoughts? thanks.

i just changed out my rear shocks and the bushings did not have a metal sleeve inside them, only the two metal end caps and the rubber bushing. seems like a metal sleeve would be counterproductive to the bushing doing its job?

or am I getting the sleeve concept wrong--

'70 project

what you speak makes sense to mine ears - I suspect mine are not stock - as they have not the sleeve you speak of - i just adjusted width to a reasonable level (not bulging beyond the metal end caps)

but perhaps a sleeve would be a good idea-- i wonder why IE decided against it? there must be some reason--

'70 project