• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hmm i may end up with twin sidedrafts

bimmerboy

Not the route i intended, i've always wanted a lynx with a 45dcoe. But are the lynx kits still available anyways? But heres my situation, I just bought an '84 audi 4000 quattro(nice car) and i was talking about why we needed a spare car around because our bmws stay in the garage most of the winter, and he says yea i used to own 2002s before the audi, and so i go hey im restoring one right now! and he says oh really, well ive got a twin solex setup off a 2000ti that i dont need anymore. i dont think anything of it as i dont ahve the money for a twin setup, but somehow he ended up saying yea well if you ever find a spare 50 bucks or so give me a call. so i do a double check, a factory twin setup(complete, and supposedly rebuilt and not used since but they have sat a while) for 50-100? Can i pass this up!? so pretty much how reliable are factory solexs for an everyday car? its going to see a few cold mornings im sure as well so how about cold starting? I wanted the lynx because i know theyre better for everyday, but for $50-100... Also do i need a different fuel pump for this or just the coolant pipe thing.

Thanks

-Marty

'73 Atlantik-Hubert-

R 1 3

'-|--|

2 4

it kinda depends on if he means just the carbs, or if he has the manifold and linkage. if he has those two you are golden. if not, then 50 bucks is about right - i got original manifolds, and a non-original linkage (funked together) plus carbs for 200. i don't have the choke hooked up, which is more linkage i never bothered to figure out. manifolds alone can be like 200 if you cant find a deal.

i live in california-- it never gets that cold. but even if it gets down to freezing-- it still starts ok - I assume the choke wold help!!

you do need the tubing off a 320, and the little port off the front of the head, otherwise the stock one gets in the way of the manifolds.

they are an adventure to tune, and no one is able to help you. plus getting jets is kind of a nightmare - have to order them from italy (only place i found them) you might want to make sure that his are jetted towards a reasonable engine and not some racer-- or it will never work on your around town car.

on the other hand, they sound cool and work alright. and definitely have a big cool factor. :)

'70 project

The Solex carbs are so-so...you're better off with Webers. If the guy is including the manifolds, then $50 is worth it..the manifolds alone can be sold for twice that much...

Congrats on the Audi purchase....an '84 4000q...my dad had one of those...it's a good car, slow though....Closest thing I had to that car was an '83 Coupe GT, also a slow car....Now I have an A4 and that is not slow. Take a look at the message forums on this site: www.audiworld.com . There's a lot of good Audi info there.

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

Not the route i intended, i've always wanted a lynx with a 45dcoe. But are the lynx kits still available anyways? But heres my situation, I just bought an '84 audi 4000 quattro(nice car) and i was talking about why we needed a spare car around because our bmws stay in the garage most of the winter, and he says yea i used to own 2002s before the audi, and so i go hey im restoring one right now! and he says oh really, well ive got a twin solex setup off a 2000ti that i dont need anymore. i dont think anything of it as i dont ahve the money for a twin setup, but somehow he ended up saying yea well if you ever find a spare 50 bucks or so give me a call. so i do a double check, a factory twin setup(complete, and supposedly rebuilt and not used since but they have sat a while) for 50-100? Can i pass this up!? so pretty much how reliable are factory solexs for an everyday car? its going to see a few cold mornings im sure as well so how about cold starting? I wanted the lynx because i know theyre better for everyday, but for $50-100... Also do i need a different fuel pump for this or just the coolant pipe thing.

Thanks

I had an 84 Coupe GT as well which was really sweet. Nothing beat that 5-cyl motor. It was a little slow till I hacked it up, used a VW Quantum crank, high comp pistons & got it really tuned well.

As far as the carbs I'd say carry a can of starter fluid and use chokes. As others mention most of the worry is the way they are tuned. Do you know what chokes & jetts are in them now? If it's setup mild and you can tune them they should not give you any trouble at all. The bitch will be when it's 0 degrees out and you need to get going in a hurry or if it snows 8" (which may never happen again) and you need to go somewhere. They are fine as long as you keep them tuned and let the car warm up IMO.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

dude, sounds like a deal. if it comes with linkage and manifold, the manifolds you can use even if you go with webbers or mikunis later - and yeah, usually 100 for those even well used.

but dont get webbers, those are even harder to tune and well, they just aren't right for the car. leave them to the alfa romeo where they belong!!

but, if its reliability you are looking for, just get a really nicely rebuilt stock carb. thats exactly what its for no?

and go get those and sell the whole set up to me! it doesnt get cold here nad I like the solex, and id love to get the proper linkage for the set i have in now!

'70 project