• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E 30 TPS ? are they variable or 3 position?

winstontj

Simply wondering if the mid 80's M20 TPS is variable or three position. Yes / No

Also what make, model & year cars do have variable tps that work on the M20 TB (at the junkyard now - opens @ 7am EST)

Thanks,

Tom

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

I just received that generic TPS. Looks ok and same plug-in as on S14 TPS. Mounting holes are different but I'm sure you will be able to fab a mount without breaking a sweat.

Only real difference I can see it that the generic rotates more degrees before it reaches the end. Easy to adjust with MS. Haven't measured the inside dia but looks close to metric equivalent of 5/16. Should be fine on the M10.

Maybe look at E46 M3 TPS.

More power!

Simply wondering if the mid 80's M20 TPS is variable or three position. Yes / No

Also what make, model & year cars do have variable tps that work on the M20 TB (at the junkyard now - opens @ 7am EST)

Thanks,

Tom

im using a tps from a 96 hyundai elantra on my M20 throttle body. bosch made and has the correct 'D' shaft.

..and I also do not own a BMW 2002.

I just received that generic TPS. Looks ok and same plug-in as on S14 TPS. Mounting holes are different but I'm sure you will be able to fab a mount without breaking a sweat.

Only real difference I can see it that the generic rotates more degrees before it reaches the end. Easy to adjust with MS. Haven't measured the inside dia but looks close to metric equivalent of 5/16. Should be fine on the M10.

Maybe look at E46 M3 TPS.

for my megasquirt I used a bosch 0280122001

it fits but you need to make a bracket to adapt it

http://parts.autopartsonlinecanada.com/parts/apocanada/quote2.jsp?product=0280%20122%20001&action=search&cart=&partnerSession=&usemake=&returnurl=http://www.autopartsonlinecanada.com/

I read that the TPS on the M20 e30 *automatic* cars are variable. I saw some photos and it looks like you don't need to fab an adapter plate, but haven't confirmed yet.

--

1974 BMW 2002 M2 (for sale, some assembly required)

1982 VW Diesel Rabbit Truck (Caddy)

1984 Mbz 300SD

1991 Honda CBR600F2

1995 BMW 318ti

I searched the web high and low for more information about this and I finally found what I was looking for: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/269576/5

Middle of the page. Includes wiring information.

I saved the page for future reference.

It basically confirms what GetOuttaMyWay said.

Edit: According to the Bosch electronic catalogue, this is BMW part# 13 63 1 707 320; Bosch part# 0 280 120 402

Found in the following cars w/AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:

tps.GIF

/ Lasse

Lasse

be different on the auto and manual versions of the car. I'm not the ultimate E30 expert by any means, but I've never come across anybody that has ever claimed that.

If you look at the article you reference, he is using an E34 TPS, not an E30 TPS.

No magic bullet(s). Yes, later model Motronics used a variable TPS, the E30 TPS delivers closed, not closed and WOT

Regards,

John N

be different on the auto and manual versions of the car. I'm not the ultimate E30 expert by any means, but I've never come across anybody that has ever claimed that.

If you look at the article you reference, he is using an E34 TPS, not an E30 TPS.

No magic bullet(s). Yes, later model Motronics used a variable TPS, the E30 TPS delivers closed, not closed and WOT

Regards,

John N

I too noticed that. I think I'm going to look for that 1996 Hyundi Sonata (EDIT: Elantra not Sonata) Bosch variable TPS that seems to fit exatly to the same "D" shaped pattern. In my mind as long as it's a Bosch part it doesn't really matter what vehicle it comes from. I'm no 2002 expert nevermind an e30 expert but I would have to say that all the ECU's are the same for the E30 cars.

E36 

The one from the Sonata can also be found on some volvo 240's and Saabs, FYI. You gotta really check the part number on the sensor because they only came on certain years, but look exactly alike. Bosch PN# 0 280 122 001

I have one of those for my s14 TB's, but I have to fab a bracket to make it fit correctly, I want to try the e30 automatic one mentioned above to see if it's a direct fit.

--

1974 BMW 2002 M2 (for sale, some assembly required)

1982 VW Diesel Rabbit Truck (Caddy)

1984 Mbz 300SD

1991 Honda CBR600F2

1995 BMW 318ti

I tought all this was about getting a variable TPS that physically fit onto the m20 throttle body without having to fabricate some sort of bracket to do so. Perfect for a MegaSquirt installation where the original wiring wouldn't be used.

However, that's just me assuming things. And you know what they say.

And I was hoping that the E34 automatic TPS would do that.

/ Lasse

Lasse

I tought all this was about getting a variable TPS that physically fit onto the m20 throttle body without having to fabricate some sort of bracket to do so. Perfect for a MegaSquirt installation where the original wiring wouldn't be used.

/ Lasse

Yes this was my exaxt reason for posting. I want a direct fit to the M20 TB - that is variable TPS. I'm going to try a few of the ones posted and report back

E36 

I read that the TPS on the M20 e30 *automatic* cars are variable. I saw some photos and it looks like you don't need to fab an adapter plate, but haven't confirmed yet.

Odd, I have an M20 E28 automatic, and its using a 3 position (same engine as a 325e as well)