• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Rust Bucket -- My '75 02

Dirt

So this is my answer to my problems. Thanks for helping me out!

I'm glad I could be of assistance.

Back on topic: I found a local source for a starter. I should have that in hand tomorrow and hopefully installed tomorrow afternoon.

I borrowed a few extra gas cans so I can empty the gas and get rid of it in one trip.

I've got two people stopping by the house tomorrow for me to roll their fenders. If that goes quickly, I should be able to give that new starter a test.

We'll see how that works out.

Pete

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, At Bisquit3's advice, I took the bumpers off. I've been wanting to since I got the car, but didn't get around to it until today. The car is now a lot lighter and it looks better too.

I finally took the two spare tires and three jacks out of the trunk. There was a lot more junk in there too. Finally it is empty. There is a little rust in the bottom of the spare tire well. I have no complaint about that since I'm going to cut it out and fill in with sheet metal.

There is a little rust here and there, but it actually isn't so bad. Not near as bad as the floors. I'll have to fix some things inside the fender wells, but it isn't so bad. Again, I'm sure I'll find more problems as I really take things apart.

I made another discovery. I've read a few recomendations for exhausts and many people have said that the Ansa exhaust is a decent setup. I get the impression that it is a little on the loud side. When I looked under the back bumper to remove the trim around it, guess what I found? I'm sure it is pretty well rusted, like everything else on this car, but the exhaust is made by Ansa.

More tomorrow.

Pete

• [*:e25ce3a374]Exterior trim: GONE
    [*:e25ce3a374]Interior panels: GONE
    [*:e25ce3a374]Vintage 2004 gasoline in the tank (all 9 gallons of it): GONE (in an ecologically friendly way)
    [*:e25ce3a374]Another 5 pounds of rust: GONE
    [*:e25ce3a374]Leak in the windsheild molding: Not gone. :/

Oh well. There's always tomorrow.

Pete

Hey folks.

For some reason the weather cooperated today and it was almost 70 degrees the week before Christmas. What the heck is up with that?

I worked on the hood and trunk lid to see how the Eastwood 2-part rust conversion chemicals worked. I'm probably going to replace both of those parts anyways, so I wanted a bit of practice before I let loose on the rest of the body.

Before:

IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

After:

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

The whole bloody story:

My web site with more photos of this process.

And a picture of my cat playing with the Christmas tree.

IMG_0574.jpg

Pete

I noticed that when I was looking through your pics. We've got 2 cats an they're very "helpful" on any project I'm working on. Leave it to me to have a photo-ho for a cat.

IMG_6252.jpg

Mao

IMG_6251.jpg

Gracie.

They're having tons of fun with the Christmas tree. This is their first Christmas with a tree and they're thoroughly enjoying it. Mao is over 15 pounds, so we have a heavy duty Christmas tree stand that is bolted into a 60 pound base. The top of the tree is tied to the ceiling with heavy fishing line. So far it is still standing.

Sorry for the sidetrack. Gracie and Mao will show up here pretty often, so it is important that they are properly introduced.

Today is supposed to be another warm day. I'm going to attack the rust on the driver's quarter pannel when I get home from the office. :D

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Pete, how's the project going? We haven't heard from you in almost a month! I was just checking your thread today to see if there were any updates you wanted to share with us when Biscuit my cat saw your cat, Gracie on the screen! She jumped up, starred at her for a little and then started meowing. Maybe she recognized her? Needless to say, she is very cute!

I must admit, I had a look at my bank account after working so much during xmas, and I got a little excited. I haven't really done much for Karl since the body shop last month, so I'm looking forward to getting some quotes on other things on my day off. Slap me some skin bro, when you get a chance. I'd like to hear how the car is coming!

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

Unfortunately I haven't had any time to work on the 2002 at all. I'm just starting a new job and that is monopolizing a lot of my time. I'm going to Germany 2 weeks per month and that is definitely cutting into my work time.

The good news is that I got a starter in the mail. (Thanks Greg!) I think the major exterior rust problems are contained for the moment. I'm hoping to pull the gas tank this week to empty it out. I may get the starter installed and fresh gas in the tank by Saturday afternoon. I may be hopping a flight to Germany Saturday night.

My bank account is one of the big limiting factors at this point. I've got zero $$$ to invest at this point. I still have a lot of zero dollar work to do on the car.

Thanks for the post. I'll catch up with you soon.

Pete

Man, I hate Frankfurt. I remember walking off a plane at 5:30 am there one time only to be choked by cigarette smoke -- but amused by a large number of travelers drinking beer while waiting for their flight -- at 5:30 in the morning!

76 BMW 2002 m20

05 Ford Focus ZX-3 SE

Man, I hate Frankfurt. I remember walking off a plane at 5:30 am there one time only to be choked by cigarette smoke -- but amused by a large number of travelers drinking beer while waiting for their flight -- at 5:30 in the morning!
It's 5 O'Clock somewhere!

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg