• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Carpet sets

albawhore

unless you spend the big bucks and get the imported material, like wool, they all come from the same place & are comparable quality...the only difference is price and service

in the loop, you can buy the same set for considerably less at other places and have many more color choices

google AutoInteriors...$189.00 and is same stuff as the loop sold by World

Actually, Esty is incorrect about all the sets being the same.

The actual material used for the carpet is the same, it is called Detroit loop, and most of it is made in the same mill. Once that carpet comes in on the roll, gets cut, and bound, they all vary to a degree. Some sets are custom patterns, and don't fit worth a damn, some have original BMW type patterns, but use too much binding in spots, which causes lumps, or curled edges. Quality of vinyl used around pedals, quality of heelpads, quality of stitching even. There are many different types of thread out there, ranging from a cheap nylon 69, to a Koban 25. Coated vs. uncoated, etc. To say "all sets are the same" just because the raw material carpet is the same, is an ignorant comment. Kinda like saying "all engines are the same because they all have cylinders made from metal.

Best thing to look for is a reputation of quality, not just price. On that note, World Upholstery has been around a while, and make nice stuff. You couldn't really go wrong.

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

--- To say "all sets are the same" just because the raw material carpet is the same, is an ignorant comment. Kinda like saying "all engines are the same because they all have cylinders made from metal.

Best thing to look for is a reputation of quality, not just price. On that note, World Upholstery has been around a while, and make nice stuff. You couldn't really go wrong.

Al

What Al said is true for a lot of things. Not to ruin the thread, but the same is with lubricants. A lot of people believe one synthetic lubricant is the same as others. Not true al all. It is just that the average person has no way to determine the quality of a lubricant and operate on blind faith and rumors (or ads). Are all radial tires the same? I'm sure you all would agree, not at all. However, we have are own interest in what a tire should do. But most don't buy cheap and change them often, like a lot do with their lubricants.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Al and Esty,

I respect both of your opinions and I do not wish to start anything. I am in the market for (2) multi piece carpet kits for '75-'76 models, I REALLY like the rear seat elimination kit for the '75 and the '76 is going to be a stock interior.

I need some honest good information on my options in this country.

Thanks

JB

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

I have bought from World (even back when they were still XKSS). They do all sorts of stuff for Jags and the like so they are used to some pretty picky customers. I had one of their domestic carpet sets. Fit and finish was just fine for the price and made a world (pun, sorry) of difference over the worn and filthy original carpet that was there before. For the price it is good stuff. As the cost goes up, the improvements are mostly in the details. Figure what your entire budget is before you spend $800 on a carpet set. A $200 carpet set may be just fine and leave you lots left over for other things like brakes and tires.

To continue this thread, has anyone used their vinyl replacement seat covers? How is the fit & finish? Is the basketweave portion of the vinyl "correct" to the early cars?

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes