• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

almost burnt

vintage_car

Got to the muffler shop for the new exhaust and flex pipe fitting to the new header, and all was successful. Great sound from the ansa. On the way to the house I noticed a new burning smell and figured it for the exhaust. As I got closer home, maybe 1/2 mile smoke started to billow out around the dashboard and out from under the dash! I heard crackling! I floored it home, smoke getting stronger. Got around back to the water hose threw open the hood and soaked the engine and everything with water...smoke still billowed and heard lots of crackling. I then noticed that one of the K&N covers had fallen off on of the webers and was shorting against the hot lead on the starter and the brake booster. I knocked it free and the smoke got better and the crackling wasn't heard as much. I surveyed the damage...burnt the wire sheilding off the wires going to my amp gauge, destroyed the amp gauge, burnt a hole laarger than a quarter in the corner of the heater box where some of the wires were laying against, melted wires to the headlights and turnsignals...one positive note...my horn works! It hasn't worked in years, I got it working once or twice last year but never could get it fixed. It works like a champ! So after cleaning up the ashes the car and I survived! Check your carb covers guys/gals!

Throwing water on a possible electrical fire can be bad news!

And while I've driven home in a flaming car, it's generally a bad idea too. Invest in a cheap ABC fire extinguisher to keep in your car! And make sure it's mounted where you can get to it and not buried in the trunk somewhere.

1974 2002

Mit rost

2001 325i

OMG! I had a nightmare the same day I found a huge fuel leak in one of Karl's carby hoses. Similar thing and I woke up crying. I get real paranoid now whenever someone pulls up beside of me at a light and has a lit cigarette. I mean, what are the chances but I don't like to think about that stuff. Hope everything turns out ok with you and your car.

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

I rebuilt the engine on my 74 when I was 17 and had the dizzy 180 off. After a few minutes of pumping the gas and cranking she went up in flames. I had an abc in the garage and extinguished it but that stuff is very corrosive, use with caution.

Brad Thomas

69 sunroof colorado project

soon to arrive verona 74 driver

74 agave parts car/shed

19a115b7-9760-47c1-af9f-560c2d06e095_zps6ad53ab7.jpg

73 M2 evolving project

77 Datsun 620 king cab hauler

09 XR1200

77 XS650

78 SR500

half dozen ct70s

other wheeled madness