• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One Week and Counting!

Biscuit3

So today, Karl was dubbed Best Car of Northmead, NSW in Australia 2006. Couldn't have happened to a nicer car if I do say so myself. But that's besides the point. Next Friday, boyfriend is finally going to allow me to do the engine rebuild, with his assistance of course! The brand new head is ready and all he needs to get is the piston rings and bearings on Monday. I am very excited! This will be the last thing I can do to make Karl run better and I am hoping once the worn rings come out, he'll run smooth as silk.

For all of you who can remember your first time doing an engine rebuild, you'll know how excited I am. Not only is it about the outcome, but simply getting in there and having a look at the anatomy of the M10 engine - that's probably going to be the best part about it. I don't think I'll be able to sleep right for the next week, xmas has come early!

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

I think the best time I have heard yet from one of the guys in the shop was six hours for a rebuild, but, I dunno, is that possible?! We're going to do it Friday night and then probably Saturday night as well. I know it's going to take way longer than six hours! What times have you guys clocked in at?

"My dad was right, it was cheaper just to buy a new car."

'75 Golf Yellow Automatic 2002 with Weber 32/36 DGAV - "Karl"

railwayKarl-1.jpg

exterior parts. Replace freeze plugs& clean out water passages, degrease block, oil pan,etc. to prepare for paint.Clean the brackets,aluminum parts, timing chain cover, dist. housing etc. The detailing can take more time than the rebuild. And wait thats not all you get, there is the engine compartment inner fenders, crossmember, all the oily grime to clean up.

Chris