• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Disk Brake Conversion Solution RE CV Joint

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

To All,

From Looking at the CVJs that meet the Trailing Arm Flange, I come to the conclusion of drilling out the 8MM holes to 10MM holes in order for the bolting to complete the attachement.

Using different CVJs would result in having to get spacers since I have been told the demisions are different with 320/323 vs. 2002. The same for the T.A. Flanges as well. Then again I was told that "everything should fit as is"

Pulling the flanges off (I guess by using a sledge, I can not find a solution for that) would most likely damage the bearing in the 323T.A., that and drilling 8mm holes (measuring the spacing and everything else) with the equip I have would most likely result in trying to find new T.A. flanges from a 323 = good luck.

So if there are no concerns (apart from the Esty vs. AlCunnuck BitchFest) or other possible solutions, I will see if this pans out.

Regards,

J.E.2002

the CV joint from 8 to 10 mm. Yes it is possible and what I did when I put my LSD in (on the inner joint of course).

The CVJ's aren't that hard to take apart, its a great time to get all that nasty 30 year old grease out of them and pack them with nice clean CV lube. The holes are remarkably easy to drill too, the existing hole makes a great pilot and I just did mine on the drill press without any jigs or fixtures.

Good luck!!

John N

umm, did that work with the bolt spacing?

I have a 320 diff that the PO drilled and tapped for Helicoils

to reduce the 10mm's to 8mm-

but the bolt circle was wrong!

Seemed like a good idea to me, but it doesn't work... for some reason.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

The CVJ that goes to the diff fits perfect with the 8mm, it's the CVJ that goes to the Rear Trailing Arm is where I need to drill out to 10mm.

J.E. 2002

CV joints to be just like the ones used on the 79 (IIRC) E21. Bolt circle is the same, the holes are just larger.

I didn't like the idea of putting the later style E21 CV joint onto the 2002 half-shaft (E21 CV joint is shorter), and I couldn't put the 2002 CV joint onto the E21 half-shaft and still keep that split-ring that holds the CV joint onto the shaft. The split ring probably isn't necessary--where is the half shaft going to go. . . but hey, that's the way I did it.

Cheers!

John N

Guest Anonymous

I am not sure what you're asking, but I just need to know which CVJ to drill out, the one with the ring around the shaft nears to the cvj or further away?

Cheers,

J.E.