• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why not platinum sparg plugs?

Tiger75

I have read on this board and been told by an expert that we should not use platinum plugs in our 4 cylinders. Why not? I heard they foul rather quickly. Is this true?

Has anybody used Bosch W7DSR Silver plugs? I heard they reduce misfires and engine start up is quicker.

Guest Anonymous

They clog VERY quickly in our cars and are extreamly expensive for when you compare to the cheap price of the proper plugs. The platinums also require a hot spark, MOST experts say never run them. I have seen them clog up in non-platinum cars in less then a week. We fix the car by chaning plugs must suck when a $2 plug fixs a $15-$35 plug and you were the fool who purchased them.You will NEVER see a set installed at LaValle's Import Restorations unless the customer serously bitches about it and wants them, we also wont warrintie them. Having said that, there are people here who do run them (I think Mike Self is one of them) and have had good luck.

Sam

I been driving my ' 75 for 26 yrs. now and have tried platinum once, and they fouled in very short order. Why? Who knows, but nearly everyone on this board will tell you not to put them in an ' 02.

For $8-9 you can put in a set of W9DC or W8DC Bosch Super plugs (depends on the tuning stage of your car) and, assuming all other things are in good shape, your car will run great for 12-15K miles, maybe more. I tend to respect the zillion yrs. of experience on this board. Their near unanimity is rarely wrong. NGK plugs also work well in our cars, I just happen to stick w/ Boschs, though I've run NGKs with no complaint.

Bob Napier

Just a bit of info, your regular plug is perfectly acceptable for your older carb'd engine, and it is flexible in different situations ie. weaker spark incorrect timing, incorrect mixture, up to a point that is, and it will still run.

Your platy. plug on the other hand is designed specifically for a set of parameters and outside of these they will not work, hence stories of fouling in carb'd engines.

You can run platy. in carb'd engines but do you need that expense? but you cannot run regular plugs in efi, it is not uncommon to find an ECU issue whereby the owner has fitted regular plugs or has old platy plugs fitted, it can cause ( fancy electronic word here, but I use ) feedback!!

Which screws the ECU.

as far as i can tell - your basic plug from any established maker will do the trick just fine. Buy a couple of brands of cheap standard plugs and try them until you are satisfied, then keep with that brand.

Autolite seem to stay cleanest and run best for mine, so i use them. but next car- it might be something else!

not sure if this applies to tii people. I don't have a tii, but ran platinums in my SPICA (mechanical fi from a similar era) alfa and had no troubles. so maybe they work for the KF as well-?

'70 project