• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

car has been sitting for a few months brakes hardly work....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

its almost as if the brake booster isnt doing anything, it brakes the same way when its running now as it did before when the car was off and i was just rolling down the driveway if that brings an image to your head.

i replaced a section of the brake booster hose to the manifold but i used some of the pcv valve tubing, it is possibly flexing and causeing this or is there another reason for it?

thanks

If the hose is collapsing while the car is running then it is an issue. The booster is'nt getting proper vacuum. Where was the car sitting? If outdoors, rust will appear on the braking surface of the rotor. Once that rust finds its way onto the brake pad it will not stop properly until the rust is removed from the pad and the rotor.

Cris

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793

Replace the hose (the booster uses the vacuum so a good hose is required) and drive it a bit to clean the rust from the breaks (5 mins slowely down the road). then worry about the booster not working.

best of luck

'Old Blu' the 1974 fjord BMW 2002.

"your my boy blu!"

IT MIGHT BE...... gummed up seals, pistons, calipers, rusty pads, rotors, retaining pins and springs, drums & shoes out of adjustment and beyond wear limits, brake hoses 'constricted' ............

start with a fluid flushing of the brakes AND clutch

if poor fluid volume flows from any of the bleeders -

REPLACE WITH BMW PARTS ONLY !!!

READ A REPAIR MANUAL, RESEARCH A PARTS CATALOG

BRAKE REPAIR IS NOT FOR THE NOVICE OR EMPTY WALLET.

IT CAN KILL YOU AND THE OTHER FOLKS ON THE ROAD.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"