• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spindle question

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Would anyone know if there are oversize or even undersized front wheel bearings? Am aware there is one number in the catalogue. However, I recall hearing that bearings from Early mustang/falcon are virtually the same as the non-Tii front bearings. Not aware of an interchange catalogue, but cant help but wonder if there is a "known" aftermarket "work-around."

In an ongoing effort to resolve what appears to be lightly dragging brakes, have concluded the problem is undersized spindles (perhaps from the factory). Have been vexed with this problem for years and, draw this conclusion considering the lack of apparent wear marks, (no scoring or "blueing") and the fact that both spindles are round. Some time ago compared my caliper measurement with that of a "late model" 320 spindle (same bearing/race size) and there was a measurable difference in thickness. Dont recall the exact variation, but remember the caliper that fit around the 02 spindles would not slide over the 320.

Bearings have been replaced, but there is too much play in the front wheels. Would prefer not to replace the spindles, and it seems not unlike a reground crankshaft can be reused with different bearings - similar logic might apply to wheel bearings.

Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

get yourself a set of new bearings- for the right spindle!-

and fit the inner races to the spindle.

They should slide on easily,

but with no radial movement or rocking.

I'd be really surprised if they're wrong- much more likely is that you've got the wrong bearings!

If the spindles aren't right, tho, easiest would be to replace 'em-

the non- tii versions are prettty easy to find.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the response. Bearings are the correct part number from Dealer and other sources houses. They fit fine on other 02's, just not this one. Have tried several new out-of- the-box bearings on the spindles and they are preceptibly looser if not "sloppy".

Because both spindles appear "true" and "unworn", would prefer just using them as is - the same as when you have a reground crank etc and you match the bearings.

Appreciate the notion of swapping struts, but getting lazy in old age. Back in the day . . . would have located a machinist with friends in the bearing business. But that was then and few folks allow unbridled access to their parts shelves. Hence the reason for the post.

Again, any suggestions are appreciated.

There are different sizes, the tii has a bigger 'spindle' than a 2002 for instance.

If in doubt measure the 'spindle dia. measure the hub internal dia. and go to a bearing shop and the price will certainly put a smile on your face.

Guest Anonymous

Appreciate the replies. Well aware of the spindle differences between tii and non. Taking the spindles and hubs to a shop to fit bearings would be ideal yet if we go to that effort its probably easier to get replacment strut/spindles. Once tried to order bearings via measurements and ended up with bearings no one could use.

With respect, where are bearing shops????

Thank you again

I can't see that worn spindles could be the problem, especially if you see no wear on them.

What about the hubs?? It seems to me that if the hubs were worn, or wrong, or had ill-fitting bearing races in them, then that could be the problem. When you tighten the spindle nut, you are squeezing the bearings and the hubs/races together. Does the nut bottom out on the threads before the whole thing seems to tighten up?

No offense, but if the spindles are somehow wrong/undersize, then you're best bet is to bite the bullet and swap the strut housings. It's not hard and not very expensive.

Bret.