• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

resonable ring replacement in bay area?

jetboy

Anyone know of a good - fast - and reasonable mechanic who can do a piston ring job on my poor '70 02? how much are we talking, and can it get done next week is what I want to know- i need it it working better by next friday if possible!

I live in the east bay, and can't deal with fixing it myself right now-

'70 project

I would highly recommend the guy I went to, Terry Tinney in Livermore. You can read all about in my blog, see the link below.

Anyway, for a little over 3 grand I got:

All labor (decking, planing, honing, and final balance)

Sachs sport clutch kit

278 degree regrind

Tii pistons 9.5:1

All new seals, bearings, valve guides, etc.

I have only about 3 grand on the odometer but the motor is incredible. Not a single leak or fault.

forum-sig.gif

I would highly recommend the guy I went to, Terry Tinney in Livermore. You can read all about in my blog, see the link below.

Anyway, for a little over 3 grand I got:

All labor (decking, planing, honing, and final balance)

Sachs sport clutch kit

278 degree regrind

Tii pistons 9.5:1

All new seals, bearings, valve guides, etc.

I have only about 3 grand on the odometer but the motor is incredible. Not a single leak or fault.

Please email me his contact info. My need his help down the road. arfdawn@aol.com

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

well, i dont need all of that, and also I dont have 3k! I know that if you are really good, you can replace the rings on an alfa without taking out the engine- not sure if thats possible on a 02- but they look similar in there!

'70 project

without pulling it. You're going to have a hard time getting any reputable shop to do the work that way. Why?

1) You can't overbore the engine with it in place. It's unlikely that your bore is within spec.

2) Even if you're within spec, you need to knock the glaze off the cylinder walls. This means you're going to put lots of tiny metal shavings all over the place. Without pulling the engine, its nearly impossible to wash them out.

3) Pulling the engine isn't really all that hard if you know what you're doing.

4) You still will need new bearings (rods and mains), a new oil pump, and a gasket set = you don't save anything on parts

5) You still need to pull the head (to check the spec on the bore and to hone the cylinder walls).

Start saving your pennies.

John N