• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

drive shaft removal from diff, impossible?

Happy Face

I'm trying to take the drive shaft out. No big deal to get it out from the center mount and guibo, but the four bolts attached to the diff are impossible to remove.

there's no leverage back there and no way to get on a socket. All I have is my 17mm wrench. cannot apply enough torque to remove.

any tricks here?

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

torch the nuts. Funny ive never had much trouble with this. you lock the diff with a big screwdriver run between the flanges and blast away. actually even though i am the first to call for fire in such situations, ive never needed it for those particular bolts/nuts. not that that means anything. I think its because you are using your own weight or the weight of the car (working against it, sturdily supported) and therefore not had an issue. Anyways, try heat. ALWAYS try heat. If you make anything glow (you shouldnt need to but sometimes thats what it takes), dont re-use it. unless you quenched it in a bucket of water its now softer metal (and if it was rusty enough to *NEED* it glowing, its junk anyways... good luck and have fun! :)

I believe they have a locking factor built in, if you have new ones heat away. It is possible to remove them w/o. If I remember correctly, I have used an offset box wrench, then to speed things up after the first 1/4 turn, I built a "special" open offset wrench. Use a big A screwdriver and wedge it between the other bolts, to stop the driveline from turning (assuming that you already found out that it is easier to leave car in neutral, so you can move the driveline to the proper angle). Do not ever vicegrip the driveline itself, they are fragil!

I do not remember using a socket there, but one thing I learned recently: a 12 point deep socket can get to places where a 6 point can't (eg guibo bolts)

Hope this helps.

Michael

PS: I forgot, watch your knuckles!

FAQ Member # 91

thanks guys for the info

I managed to get them off, using a combo of all of the tips provided. I was ready with the torch but didn't have to go there (saves the nuts).

After I got them off I could see that they had red lock-tight on them, which might explain my difficulty

by the way, I love that spanner picture....that seems the perfect illustration of the principle of torque..... lever arm X force = torque or something like that

thanks again!

dave

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White