• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who's going to Carlisle?

ToddK

This year will be my first trip to Carlisle as an 02 owner. I have been at least 10 times as a British car guy, but I have to admit that I never paid much attention to the German stuff. How big of a turnout of 02's will be there if the weather is nice? How good is the vendor selection? I will be bringing down a truckload of Triumph TR8 stuff I sold to a guy in Maryland. Do you think I should throw the 02 on a trailer and drag it down, or would I be better off going empty and bringing back another car as I usually do? The looks and the headshaking my wife gives me every year, as I bring home some other strange European auto to restore, are priceless.

Import Carlisle needs a jumpstart. The 02 turnout has dwindled in since 2002/2003. Very few BMW parts, mostly rusty british relics, picknpull-grade volvo, saab, and volkswagen stuff, citroens that sound like lawnmowers. Import Carlisle is a shadow of what it was around the turn of the century.

If your life is dull, perhaps your car is too new and you're not driving far enough...

1969 1600 florida (Moonglow)

I agree....I've been going there since around '90, and it's not very good any more....but if the weather is good, it's close by and I may still shoot over. Last good turnout was when I organized the Mid-Atlantik '02 Fests there in 2002 & 2003....GREAT showing of '02s that year...I believe we had close to 90! It was just too much work for one person to do that any longer...I started it in '99 and did it for 4 years...maybe again sometime in the future with "alot" of help! :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Import Carlisle needs a jumpstart. The 02 turnout has dwindled in since 2002/2003. Very few BMW parts, mostly rusty british relics, picknpull-grade volvo, saab, and volkswagen stuff, citroens that sound like lawnmowers. Import Carlisle is a shadow of what it was around the turn of the century.

You had me going for a minute- I was thinking "Import Carlisle hasn't been around that long......" then it dawned on me.....DUH!

I'll be there again, as usual. I agree with Derek that this event is in dire need of some sort of boost. I was hanging out with the Grassroots Motorsport magazine guys last year and we talked about this very thing. I believe that if they could get a better vendor turnout, the event would be alot better off. Maybe cut the price for vendor spaces in half (or more)- that should help get some more folks interested in hauling the stuff out there and sitting in the rain for 3 days trying to sell it- and constantly hearing "I saw 5 of those things sell on Ebay last week for 1/10th of that price". I don't see why they can't do some advertising- this show is not well promoted at all IMHO.

I have never sold alot at the Carlisle Import show, some years I buy more than I sell. At least a couple of years I've been completely shut out- sold -0-. I still enjoy it, and will continue to go- one reason is that it's become a tradition- we go to Carlisle for this weekend, then on Sunday we load up and drive to Upstate NY to visit my Grandma for a couple of days, then haul back to NC.

Bring your rain gear. :)

Bret.

Guest Anonymous

Laurence Charlemagne. Chris and myself wiil make the trip from New York. We drive down Friday,show Saturday....buy painting supplies and other tools for the summer. Not sure of earlier years but it is always worth the trip for us...

Doug Murray

1974 2002 L Jetronic efi

1989 325iX

We plan to be there.

It'll be our first visit.

I don't really know what to expect.

I'm just am looking forward to a little vacation time.

post-839-13667563294797_thumb.jpg

1974 2002 M2

1966 Saab 96

1972 Saab 96 - Grandpa's car comes home.

it'll be my 3rd year going. last year i couldn't bring the 02 cuz of the newest addition to the family, but this year i'm brining the 02. unfortunatly i was there only one year when john put it together but wow...was it an event!!

i agree it does need a bit of a jump start, perhaps an early moring 02 get together or a little afternoon drive (when things get a little slow)? maybe we could do a little tech session of our own?

i like to go for a lot of reasons, but manily to meet up with great friends and hang out. stopping by and seeing CD, Sam, Ring, and AL is very necessary, especially to see what AL is up to. i always appreciated the fact that they could bring some stuff that i needed and could just pick it up at carlisle.

two years ago they had some really good tech sessions, unfortunatly last year i didnt' know enough about them until it was too late.

also should we register w/the bmw nittney chapter so we can all park together?

-dave

Pittsburgh, PA

67.5 Datsun Roadster

72 2002 Colorado

89 325ix

99 318ti

04 x5 3.0