• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

emerg. brake cable stuck?

Happy Face

I have adjusted hand brake cables to max tight and still have no emerg. brake..

The rear brakes are all new, new cylinders, shoes and drums...this was the last thing I had to do before getting the car back on the street

all I can figure is that somewhere the emer cable is sticking.... I mean if I tighten the cable any more at the handbrake its going to snap....as it is, its so tight I can barely pull the hand brake more than 4 notches, if that...

don't tell me I need to pull out that cable!

1972 2002
Verona Red "Happy Face"
VIN 2581641

1999 M Roadster Alpine White, 1999 M Coupe Alpine White

It sounds as if the cables are indeed stuck--especially if all other components have been changed out. The best way to test them without undoing anything is to jack up the rear, remove wheels and brake drums, then watch the emergency brake cable end and lever when someone pulls and releases the handbrake. If there is no motion or minimal motion, you have a stuck cable. Be sure to check both sides. By the way, four clicks from handbbrake off to handbrake on is the standard for a proper adjustment.

Unfortunately, the only cures are to replace the cables or to remove them and lubricate them in the hopes that they will work. Given the labor involved, it is pennywise and pound foolish not to replace both cables if you must remove them.

On the bright side, once replaced, they will last for 20 years+

Good luck!