• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting sign in/Guest/anonymous name trend

Paul7002

If you sign in properly, as I generally do unless I forget, my regular board name appears at the end of the line, ie Paul7002. If you don't sign in, it seems you get tagged "Guest". Lately we've noticed that there is apparently a third option in which the poster can be identified by any randomly selected, often offensive, word - witness the whole "how old are you" drivel below.

I have not figured out how to do the third option myself. But I think I'm about to start agreeing with those who have suggested that sign in be mandatory in order to post. Failing that, let's just agree to ignore the jerks. Although I enjoy poking a bag of shi*t as much as the next guy just to see the reaction or put him in his place, ultimately, we all just end up getting sh*tty.

this board is too good a sourse of valuable information, not to mention work-day entertainment and distraction, to let it get ruined.

Have an 02 weekend, y'all!

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

If you are not logged in it makes you sign some kind of name in the username field -- this was just added a few days ago.

Was hoping that would help people who *think* they're logged in but aren't really as it will bug you for a name before letting you post rather than just automatically calling you 'guest'

The down side is that dickheads can get clever with the username rather than autoGuesting

*sigh*

Though I'm new to this board, I've been on many others where registration/sign-in is required to post. No guest option at all. It seems to definitely help with the trolls who find enjoyment in posting nonsense and inflamatory garbage. (the entertainment value in that is beyond me)

I don't know what happened to the thread I started, but it quickly became apparent that it should be ignored lest we give that annoying poster any more of what he wanted.. attention.

This is a great forum, thanks to those that keep it going!

1974 - Weber 32/36

The great thing about this board is that it is so active that any ignored "nonsense" thread will run off the page quickly. If we choose to be non-responsive, they will just go-away on their own. They will remain alive as long as we breathe life into them.

Steve

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

I don't know what happened to the thread I started, but it quickly became apparent that it should be ignored lest we give that annoying poster any more of what he wanted.. attention.

This is a great forum, thanks to those that keep it going!

That thread is still on "life Support" down there somewhere. It did generate some very interesting pictures. My wife happened to look in when I was scrolling past the "Fat ass.jpg". Imagine trying to explain that one.

Steve (oops, I think I just gave your thread a few more moments of life)

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

The old board never made you log in ever. When me and mike (mostly mike.. i just wrote some of the early db conversion code) were trying to translate the old static html system to a database driven system one of the key issues Steve and others made clear was to make the new board act in much the same way as the old board.

The old board didn't require a login and so rather than lose valuable contributions from folk who didn't want to register (or could not for some reason) it was mandated on this board that anyone could post.

now if most of us are adults can we suffer some dumbasses in order let other quality posters participate? Keep in mind this board is about 30+ year old cars, so some folks here might be accessing via lynx or non-cookied browsers..

Its not up to me. I just appreciate the resource and I got inolved in transforming the old board to the new format for a single reason: the ability to search the archives via a database rather than a set of static html pages (around 250,000 of them). You all gotta admit the search is MUCH better:)

So if the suffering from dumbasses outweighs the need for non-registered people to contribute maybe it will be time for a change. Figuring out that ratio is a hard one..

rambling late night yada

-zachary