• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie needs help!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I recently purchased and had installed a new Pioneer Avic N2 into my 02 325i. I just bought the IPOD adapter and am trying to install it myself as opposed to paying the money to have someone else do it. Everything was going good until I got to were to wire in the power source. I know I need to wire to a power source that gives power regardless of the ignition position. I have taken off the glove compartment but nothing else. Where is the wire that I need to get power to the adapter? What is the easiest way to wire the adapter? It seems like as long as i can connect the one wire and ground the black wire I will be good to go, I just need to know where to splice in the power. Thanks

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

the problem is that your car is too new. go sell it and buy a 1970 bmw2002, then I can tell you exactly what wire to splice into :)

or is this just a joke and you really didn't think this forum is about the year 2002 cars and are just pulling our legs?

'70 project

Yes,

This forum is ~mostly~ about the 2002 cars 1966-1976. When we need power, we just look for any wire that looks slightly melted and that is usually +12volts. Wires that terminate in rusty or corroded connections are usually ground wires.

Looking for power on new cars would usually involve a trip to the dealer to check the computer codes fr available power.

Splicing in power- try to find an open connector already under the dash, or open connections on the fuse box. Use a meter to check for a good ground and then check available connections for +12 volts.

Stay far away from any wires to do with the airbag system. It would not be good to hit some strong bass notes only to have an airbag deploy.

Get the Bentley book for your car as well.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I know I need to wire to a power source that gives power regardless of the ignition position. I have taken off the glove compartment but nothing else. Where is the wire that I need to get power to the adapter?

Does your E46 have a Cigar Lighter? Is it powered at all times?

That's where I would look, to get constant B+ fed to your equipment.

Tie into the terminals connected to the back side of the lighter socket.