• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

POR15 vs Eastwood vs RustBullet vs Marine equivalent

rho

Need to start thinking about attacking the rust in the spare tire well. They all claim to be the best and from my surfing it looks like POR-15 has their act together from a Marketing and product standpoint for fixing automotive applications (ie puddy, fabric etc....)

Just wondering if anyone has had any firsthand experience with any of the above for rust patching.

Thanks

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

thats a tough question. i can say this. last fall the plow carriage on my truck was so crusty with rust it was embarrassing.i sandblasted it and por15'd it and it takes a real beating with salt all over it . it looks perfect still. granted this is only 1 winter but i know normal paint wouldnt last. it has to be painted every year using products like rustoleum. por 15 is really nice to paint with. covers great. the others may also but ive never used them. ive used por 15 thruout my resto. i bet they are all good paints.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

thats a tough question. i can say this. last fall the plow carriage on my truck was so crusty with rust it was embarrassing.i sandblasted it and por15'd it and it takes a real beating with salt all over it . it looks perfect still. granted this is only 1 winter but i know normal paint wouldnt last. it has to be painted every year using products like rustoleum. por 15 is really nice to paint with. covers great. the others may also but ive never used them. ive used por 15 thruout my resto. i bet they are all good paints.

From your experiences with POR15 I would never encounter a winter like you stated, being in Sunny California. I guess in my environment they all would probably be more than enough protection for me.

But more real life stories are welcome from others...

Thanks again,

Robert

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

on a front license plate backer (black metal) that I cleaned well with wire brush/Dremel and was disappointed that rust came back w/in a year. I realze some moisture can be trapped behind the tag, but I rarely wash the car.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Some higher end body shops are using it as the first treatment on body panels, inside stuff, and wheel houses on old cars like ours prior to primer and paint. Wurth has a great product too, the spec sheet for POR and Wurth are identical. I think one company makes it and private labels it to the other.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Guest Anonymous

the important thing with por-15 is the cleaning process using Marine Clean, and the Metal Ready, And then por15 with absolutely no moisture around.

It seems like really tought stuff(expensive thought but worth the protection)

I'll be coating my whole undercarage with por15 and then a product called gravel gaurd, kind of a spray on rubber that hardens to a nice finish to prevent rock chips from pircing the por.

I've declared war against RUST

I've used both por15 and Eastwood’s rust encapsulator. I've had nothing but great luck with por15 products. They are great to work with, go on nice and are very durable. I have many things that have been exposed to the elements for years and they all look great with their por15 coatings.

On the other hand, many of the things I've painted with Eastwood’s RE are looking very sad. Now that might not be a 100% fair argument since por15 requires a top coat (at least they did a few years ago) and the big selling point for Eastwood’s RE is that it can be the top coat. On the Eastwood items that I top coated, they still look good as the Eastwood chassis black is excellent paint. But the items that were coated exclusively with RE are going to require re-painting before long after only 1 year of exposure.

74 tii m20 stroker 2.8 turbo (2 more cylinders coming soon)

87 s52 powered 325"e"s

05 2500HD for Towing

99 M Coupe

01 525it