• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Project Polaris - TMK-001's 1973 squarie rebuild.

Guest Anonymous

Hey all...

Spent today working on the car... It doenst look too different to last time except they stitched the nose on and test fitted the front guards and bonnet, then removed them... I fulled all the trims off, removed all the little clips, took the trunk lid off (boot lid :-P) and removed the surface rush out of it and found a nice hole that will be welded and anti rust treated. I worked out how to pull the 2002 badge off the back as well, but couldnt get the fuel tank out cause one of the bolts is spinning freely and I cant get in underneath because the front is jacked up with no wheels.

I pulled all the back windows out (which were interesting as they were nothing like we discussed Tom...) Mine were in a metal track with 3 or 4 screws through it and were quite simple to remove - no up & twist method like your old man discussed Tom...

I was going to start prepping the car for paint, but decided to wire wheel all the shit off the inner guards to paint them all black before we put the 'Wings' back on. I managed to do 1 and a half sides.

That took forever as there was some serious goop on there! My arms are stuffed from hanging onto the wheel all afternoon.

I am absolutely hanging to drive my car! I want to get this sucker on the road soooo bad.

Interior should be going somewhere next week. I am taking the dash board out on Monday to get it re-skinned - I have to take it on a 640 mile round trip to get that done. I will take the seats up to the trimmers at the same time too I hope.

I am excited as things are happening, but it is still so far off! I am hoping to have the car back on the road by the end of April - interior panels and carpet will most likely have to wait until I am able to afford it.

Once it is done at the paint shop, it will be reassembled, then towed to the auto electricians where they will wire up a few relays for new super bright headlights, alarm, central locking and the thermo fan.

Monday I will do some prep - hopefully the paint shop will finish off the nitty grittys when I am back at work Tuesday-Thursday and I will come over and they will paint it over Easter... my dad goes to the US on April 17th for 10 days, so hopefully I can pick him up in it when he gets back.

I have ordered door brakes, complete rear tail light assemblies and upper belt time trims from Steve, so that will be awesome!

It is the eternal battle between wallet and wants... if I could afford it, I would order all new rain gutter trims, side repeaters, B pillar stainless etc. to replace every single thing on the exterior of the car... that way it would all look mint from the outside!

It is good to have a place to work on my car to save some costs, get help and advice as I go and know that I am having some physical input into my cars restoration - not bad for someone who has never done this kind of thing before! When the people come into the work shop, the owner tells everyone that I am the apprentice!

I'm really having fun!

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, no pics today as I broke my camera phone and I left my camera at home...

They are trying to talk me into painting it a different color to Polaris - they want to put a pearl in it... I am not a big pearl fan, but I was considering a color change... I really dont know what color to go though, so I think Polaris is the way to go.

This thread name would be in limbo if I did change it :-P

toddsig05.jpg

That sounds like a hell of a round trip! Not sure where you are setting out from, but there is a place in Croydon that I used and can recommend. It may be closer.......? Let me know if you want details and you're welcome to swing by and check out the finish on mine if that makes the decision easier....

faqsignature.jpg

I pulled all the back windows out (which were interesting as they were nothing like we discussed Tom...) Mine were in a metal track with 3 or 4 screws through it and were quite simple to remove - no up & twist method like your old man discussed Tom...

Probably why ours is in pieces :-P

Good to hear its coming along. Can't wait to see it back on the road. Should be a real head turner!

Also, Tim, i have your BMWCCV magazine still. Whens convenient to come pick it up? Usually pretty flexible so just give us a yell.

Also#2, Whats the deal with the 02faq tee's? Do you guys just want to do one bulk order? or just all individually. Id imagine we could save a fair bit with shipping for 4+ shirts....

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

I'm taking some time off work between Easter & Anzac day Tom - so can we hook up during that time? For the T-shirts, I was going to order one the other day, but there weren't any 'mediums' available, so I figured I'd wait until the next batch. Maybe it's worth getting in early with a pre-order??

post-936-13667563521442_thumb.jpg

faqsignature.jpg

I'm taking some time off work between Easter & Anzac day Tom - so can we hook up during that time? For the T-shirts, I was going to order one the other day, but there weren't any 'mediums' available, so I figured I'd wait until the next batch. Maybe it's worth getting in early with a pre-order??

Sounds good with me Tim.

I would imagine a medium would be a bit small for me (arent you taller than me?) so ill go with a large. Last two 02 tee's ive ordered from the US in large have been perfect :-) . Anyway, we'll wait for Todd and Shaun to chime in and see. Maybe we should stop whoring Todd's thread lol!

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

I'll be in for a large too! I dont use paypal - dont have a credit card - so if someone wants to pay for them, and I will pay them back when I see them next? Like with the black t-shirt :-)

Tim, I have spoke to the people from 'The Dash Doctor' in Coburg and they have a good turn around time of two days and they say it is $250 for upper and $250 lower repair - with the dash coming from Mt Gambier (420km from Geelong) plus the trip to and from Melbourne the round trip is around 980km by them end of it!

What price did you pay for your dash? I had a look at David's dash that was done down near Danednong somewhere and I didnt think it was up to the level I would be happy with - right now I have a single crack in the dash that runs down the normal line... it is pretty straight and I hope they get it right - I would be pissed off if it came back looking bodgy.

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Ok, i guess ill do the ordering :-P

Tim, do you want to do the same as Todd and just pay me back when i see you next? Ill have a talk to Shaun too as he said he was keen.

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

piece less a discount for BMW club members.......2 year warranty on cracking or lifting. Only problem I had with mine was getting the chrome plates for the heater controls back in nicely - I suggest you take these with the dash and make sure they allow enough clearance. The grain of the vinyl is a little courser than original, but looks good. I guess Croydon adds another few km to your trip!!

www.dashboardcentre.com.au

faqsignature.jpg

Tim, I called these dudes the other day - got their number from out of the back of the BMWCCV book and he said as of earlier this year they stopped doing dashboard repairs... he then recommended I contact the Dash Doctor... apparantly they are focusing on faux wood grain and carbon fiber now... I wouldnt think there would be a market for it, but who knows.

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

faux woodgrain is nice :-D

I just checked out their website - still says they do dashboards so I don't know what's going on. Looks like they do plastic chrome work too (no bags or aerosols!) so I might see what they can do with the handle on my ash tray and the chrome trim on the armrests up front......

faqsignature.jpg

faux woodgrain is nice :-D

I just checked out their website - still says they do dashboards so I don't know what's going on. Looks like they do plastic chrome work too (no bags or aerosols!) so I might see what they can do with the handle on my ash tray and the chrome trim on the armrests up front......

What colour are you looking for Tim? I think our parts cars ones are that sahara'y creamy (light tan?) colour... The whole interior is in good nik, except the dash...BUGGER!

Tom

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky