• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My first 2002 and my new tech articles

johnhup

Hi all,

I have been browsing this board for years, but finally just bought my first 02 last August. Since I have learned so much from everyone on the boards I decided to give back by documenting my restoration.

Right now I am in the middle of a motor rebuild which should be done tomorrow, fingers crossed. You can see all the pictures at the link supplied below.

Cheers.

forum-sig.gif

My car smoked and leaked so badly, no one would follow me to 02-02-02 in Spartanburg.

They made so much fun of me and my moilly engine bay, I did what you are doing at the end of 2002.

Great work John

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Nice work!

With the spacers removed have you had any trouble with the struts hitting the underside of the hood? I have a friend who bought a 2002 in very good condition except the previous owner had removed the strut spacers and the top of the strut hit the underside of the hood leaving a ball-peen like dent and a small amount of paint damage.

I'm assuming the previous owner hit a substantial bump.

Any way Nice work.

Im doing all my own work. I have never done this before but I figured why not just jump right in. Thats why I bought the car. As for the motor, it is being rebuilt by Terry Tinney in Livermore, CA

I looking into getting one of my motors rebuilt. How did you get around to choosing Terry in Livermore?

How much will the rebuilt cost approximately?

thanks,

Robert

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

I am part of the bay area '02 group, bayarea02.com. I got a recommendation from one of the guys who has had great experience with him. He has been doing this for a long time, not to mention a lot of experience with 4 and 6 cyl BMW motors. He has been very knowledgable and helpful thus far. He is even delivering the motor to my shop tonight.

forum-sig.gif